• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vic's Bolt Action Pen

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Our very nice man Vic sent me a Bolt Action Pen to try well anyway here it is. I found a piece of yew to go with the pen because Old bows were made from it and the pen being bullet shaped refers to modern weaponry so you could call it "Past and Present"

Attachments

• 2015-02-15 001 001.jpg
    2015-02-15 001 001.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 87

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Well done Vic and Derek that's a cracking piece of Yew excellently turned and finished. Great stuff :thumbs::thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
That's a cracker Derek the Yew and kit look a nice team. A lot of people don't like the Bolt Action pens and I am not a great fan of them myself, however, I do find that they sell very well and I always keep a couple of them ready to go.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
the picture doesnt do it justice

that is a fantastic bit of yew in the flesh

Steve

Jim

Grand Master
That is a nice combination of wood and plating Derek, making a super pen my friend .. And good of Vic to forward you the kit .. :thumbs: what is your verdict of the kit Derek? :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Derek carefully understated not in your face the clip does not scream at you indeed the kit is an outstanding frame for that beaut timber. Such a simple turning exercise this one piece pen probably among the best of them. Reminds me of a Stealth Bomber it has purpose and direction.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thanl you all.

That's a cracker Derek the Yew and kit look a nice team. A lot of people don't like the Bolt Action pens and I am not a great fan of them myself, however, I do find that they sell very well and I always keep a couple of them ready to go.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Glad you approve Vic

the picture doesnt do it justice

that is a fantastic bit of yew in the flesh

Steve

I had taken the picture about an hour before you arrived good to see you again

That is a nice combination of wood and plating Derek, making a super pen my friend .. And good of Vic to forward you the kit .. :thumbs: what is your verdict of the kit Derek? :thinks:

Not sure who,s pen it is as I understand there are a couple of different ones, maybe Vic could answer that part.

To me the pen feels well balanced in the hand but the wife said it felt heavy for her so I would say more of a man,s pen in the weight department.

The components felt and looked good except for the lever for the bolt action which I personally think looks and protrudes out a little too far. The second thing that I found is that to replace the cartridge the tip is removed and the cartridge and spring removed and replace through there this opening could have been a little larger as the refill just catches on the plastic part of it.
The photo shows the bolt but not that clear.

Attachments

• 2015-02-15 001 004.jpg
    2015-02-15 001 004.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 21

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
A well turned and finished timber that has lots of character.
On my Bolt Actions I rotate the bolt handle and re-orientate the clip so the bolt action works like a real rifle bolt.

Les

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
I also noticed that the lever is quite large on that one

the TB Mark 2 is shorter and not cranked

Steve

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).