• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Would like to dabble in casting

naxie

Registered
As the title says, I'd like to have a try at casting. Reading through the old threads I have found a post by Jim about Pearl Mica Colour Powder on eBay which I have found but its the resin and molds themselves I could do with some help with.

Suggestions say polyester resin, could someone possibly post an eBay link or point me in the right direction of exactly what I need?

Is it best to make your own molds? I would rather go in that direction, as you know I like making things.

Again if someone could maybe post a picture or a brief description of molds they have made?:thinks:

Its my birthday coming up and swmbo is asking for gift ideas. What better than some a box of various chemicals? It beats more socks anyway!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Ed,

I use the 22mm white plastic pipe from B&Q for my blanks, but i have also dabbled in making my own blanks which i actually found easy to make .. I got the material from here ... Silicone Mould Making Rubber

I have bough my resin from several places, but my last buy was from these guys .. RESIN & GEL COATS

If you need assistance or have any questions just drop me a PM ... :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
You and all the other resin enthusiasts may be interested or already know.
I cant remember the name of the forums but if you look at Taxidermy and their forums they use far more resins than you can shake a stick at.
The methods of encapsulation etc are very informative.
Pen turners may use or make use of many materials and methods from all sorts of trades and arts.
I was looking for different reasons and it was years ago now but gained all the knowledge I required at the time and remember so much talk about resins.
Resins are nothing new they have been around since the time of galleons with the use of cascamite etc, I digress.
Where was I ? AH yes if you want bodily fluids draining and embalming carried out I can offer my services.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I, too, am wanting to try my hand at casting, but for a different reason. Much of this mulberry that I am so enamored with (and which I have truckloads of) is too fragile to turn. I would like to learn to cast what here are called "trash blanks" where you embed beautiful but unstable wood in resin, then turn it.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Just drop a line if you need help.... Bear in mind I have not been casting long but the pit-falls are still fresh in my mind......

naxie

Registered
Morning all.

Alex, thanks for the link, I have it saved.

Jim, cheers for that, saved also. B and Q is 5 minutes up the road and is often a source of bits for projects.

George, thanks for the info. I will certainly bear your kind offer in mind, especially if I get more socks again.

Sharon, I have something similar in mind also.

Rowdy, we're up in your neck of the woods at the end of the month looking for something to do for the day....... On second thoughts if I suggest that to swmbo, it will be her enquiring into George's embalming services!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).