• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Great Axminster Service!

naxie

Registered
Last week I received a set of sierra bushes from Axminster that hadn't been drilled properly and were undersize. After a quick phone call a new (and checked) set was winging its way to me.

Whilst on the phone, I happened to mention how one of them is stuck fast to my mandrel. (Don't ask)

This morning this arrived for me foc.

IMG_20130704_101015.JPG

photo.JPG

Thank you Axminster! This is why I keep coming back!

Jim

Grand Master
That is what you call great service, well done Axminster ... :thumbs:

Lucky Bast*%*d ... :whistling:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
A discussion I was having today about British quality and service, I won't go into all the details but I was defending British at its best is the best and no doubt.
I will show this to the arguer to see if he can make me wrong.
Well done Axminster defending quality and service and lucky you too, thanks for showing us.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well I'm glad you had better service than I just did.

Drove 50 miles round trip for set of Sierra bushings and some kits, guess what the bushings don't bloody fit ! (Wish I'd read this first!)

Not impressed with the call centre service one bit, basically told I can return them to store or post them in and they'll refund.

So what am I supposed to do with the Sierra kits I bought at the same time ? Was gonna turn them today / tomorrow.

Looks like they just lost a customer to be honest. Shame as they have some nice stuff in there as well.

I'm an ex retailer I know the value of service, seems like they have staff who aren't taught to think of the "lifetime" value of a customer, which would have been a lot more than 4.99 in my case.

:vangry:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have had the bushings i bought from turners retreat not go on to my mandrel, luckely enough i have a small round file and with a couple of rubs in side the bushing i got it to go over the mandrel. :bwink:

naxie

Registered
Ring up again Phill and ask to speak to Richard in after sales support. That's who help me out, I have spoken to him a few times in the past and he has always been most helpful.

Have you got anything to measure the internal diameter of the bushings? Mine were 0.14 of a mm too small. The normal slight bevel for want of a better word, looked like it had been whittled with a penknife! I was also disappointed especially as the sales blurb goes on about being accurately CNC'd.

I hope the matter gets resolved for you and please let us know of the outcome.

Seems like the have a bit of a duff batch!:thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Well I'm glad you had better service than I just did.

Drove 50 miles round trip for set of Sierra bushings and some kits, guess what the bushings don't bloody fit ! (Wish I'd read this first!)

Not impressed with the call centre service one bit, basically told I can return them to store or post them in and they'll refund.

So what am I supposed to do with the Sierra kits I bought at the same time ? Was gonna turn them today / tomorrow.

Looks like they just lost a customer to be honest. Shame as they have some nice stuff in there as well.

I'm an ex retailer I know the value of service, seems like they have staff who aren't taught to think of the "lifetime" value of a customer, which would have been a lot more than 4.99 in my case.

:vangry:

It's an age old argument I have seen many times in different forums.
Basically it boils down to retailer mandrels being different sizes, if your purchase a mandrel then buy a full set of bushes from that same retailer and you will no0t experience this.
If filing the middles out be careful to ensure it stays square to the mandrel or you could end up turning off center.
The best aw to avoid all this argument is to turn between centers and lose the mandrel altogether.
Assuming of course your bushes fit the tube.

Jim

Grand Master
I haven't made any Sierra's for a long time but when i first started making them i bought my mandrel, pen kit and bushings all from T's R, and the bushings from their were also tight on my mandrel, I took them back and the replacements were also tight, i rolled a piece of sandpaper placed it through the bushing and just ran it up and down until it fitted on to the mandrel. It was difficult to remove from the tube after i had finished turning the pen and had to wait a while for it to be pulled off ... So i don't believe this to be a new issue and surprised that it has been going on for as long as it has ... :rolling:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well, realising suddenly I have a lathe :funny: I decided to risk using a diamond coated needle file, as mine weren't as much as 0.14 out.

Took a bit of care and lo and behold they are now a nice snug fit.

I take on board the comment about mandrel manufacturers, I'll get my bushings from planet from now on. Newbie assumed they were all a standard size.

I also take on board the between centres comment as well.

Phill

Jim

Grand Master
I take on board the comment about mandrel manufacturers, I'll get my bushings from planet from now on. Newbie assumed they were all a standard size.

I also take on board the between centres comment as well.

I bought my mandrel, pen kit and bushings all from T's R, and the bushings from their were also tight on my mandrel, I took them back and the replacements were also tight

Phill, if your mandrel is a Rotor one from planet for example their bushings may not be from the same manufacturer, it could still happen, like i said, this has been happening for quite a while now .. :down:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).