• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

This evening result: Deer antler and polymer clay.

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Following the hints you gave me, about the right way to work with polymer clay, I tried to form a cane, slice it, and stick it directly to the tube.
I also wanted to try something that I had in mind from last year: use a streamline/fancy kit to turn a mini european style pen.
This is only a experiment, but i like the outcome. Will go in my collection for future reference:
DSC07057.jpg

Detail of the pattern (the green clay have glitter inside)
DSC07058.jpg

Since I had some deer antler sections growing dust on the shelf, and they were too small to use in a knife handle, i tried to turn a pen out of them but I'm not sure if I like the result or not:
DSC07056.jpg

Detail:
DSC07059.jpg

I will never do something so stupid again, because it soaked up half a bottle of CA glue for filling all the grain and the result looks like Corian.......
I must admit that it look better in the hand, but not quite the result I had in mind.
Now it's not deer antler anymore, its acrylic with some deer antler inside :funny:.

Ok mates, this is all for today, 3 pens (the other one is in the Acrylic section) are enough for a lazy (and sodding cold) sunday .

Thanks for following me and sorry for this 2 low level pens.
Francesco

Jim

Grand Master
Francesco, i wouldn't call these pens low level my friend, far from it .. You will find that the forum members love to see people working out of their comfort zone and trying new levels of pen making, these being no exception .. You have joined a very small number of members in here to try making your own canes with the Polymer Clay, this first attempt is a very good effort and the pen does look good .. :thumbs:

The Deer antler also looks well made for a first attempt .. Well done indeed .. :thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I think both are a good result. The shapes in the polymer clay are great, and the grain of the antler shows beautifully. Time well spent i say:thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Nothing wrong with that first attempt with Polymer Clay ! Ask Woody ? His first attempt nearly caused the Fire Service to rush out to him.

:devil:Vic:devil:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
No matter what people think about polymer clay that is a lovely pen, well made and finished and the antler, well they are full of emptiness and will cost you a fortune in ca but you've made a great job of that one as well :thumbs:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
I wonder if stabilizing the antler would be the solution?
Terry,
when I make handgun cheeks or knife handles, I usualy soak it with epoxy resin usin heat to increase the capillarity, but it will never work in something so small, I haven't ever tried stabilizing antlers.
What would do you suggest, using paraloyd or normal wood stabilizer?
Have some paraloyd laying arround in the shop, I have just to find where is it :funny:

Thanks for the hint, mate
Francesco

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bloody well done like your experiments and you done well with the pollymer clay Vic will never let me live my first attempt down I got my Fahrenheit and centigrade mixed up and me first lot come out of the oven like charcoal vic wears them around his neck now they are like two black turds LOL:funny::winking:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Vic will never let me live my first attempt down I got my Fahrenheit and centigrade mixed up and me first lot come out of the oven like charcoal vic wears them around his neck now they are like two black turds LOL:funny::winking:

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny: This just had me rolling on the floor, mate.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).