• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Melting Vinamold

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The way I melt it is, I have a pan with sand on the bottom and I place a pan with the vinamold inside that and fill the gap between the two pans with sand. I heat it up on a gas stove outside, you wouldn't want to do this in the house it is quite a sickly smell and if you do burn it, it is really noxious. If you are not married and live alone I would still do it outside, but that is up to you. I use a digital thermometer with alarm so I can set it 20 degrees under maximum temperature and then keep a close eye on it. I do stir as it it melting especially if I add more vinamold to the pan. Once it has reached the temperature I want I lift the pan out and wipe the bottom and sides of the pan with tissue to get any sand off the outside then I pour it into/onto the master and let it cool. The sand in the pan helps to distribute the heat and works brilliantly for me. I do put a lid on the pan with the vinamold in to keep the heat in.

Peter

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I use 15mm hdpe sheet bought very cheaply, cuts quickly and screws together in minutes. i tried vinamold and do not get on with the stuff. Too much faffing about for me:thumbs:

if you do go down the vinamold route, then I've got 5kg of the yellow. I'm not going to use it:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Brody, I was going to use corian and was in the process of taping it to bolt it together and bought some HDPE on ebay and knocked a mould up.

--- and I've just notice the lack of cleaning of the carpet. The CMM knows about that now :funny:

Attachments

• HDPE.jpg
    HDPE.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 49

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Hi Paul could you tell me which seller you bought it from

Regards Robin
Thanks Brody, I was going to use corian and was in the process of taping it to bolt it together and bought some HDPE on ebay and knocked a mould up.

--- and I've just notice the lack of cleaning of the carpet. The CMM knows about that now :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).