• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Good evening all!

Indie Shed

Registered
First Name
Jimi
Hello from me to the turners on the forum!

I'm a relative newcomer to wood turning been at it a couple of months on my trusty Record DML24 that was picked up on one of the second-hand sites. I've been enjoying myself making a few bits for friends and family then one day I chanced upon the pen kits at Taylors (Mirfield) and thought I'd get myself an Omega Fountain pen to try out. It turned up today and first impressions are very good. I'm undecidided whether to crack on or wait for the MT #1 Pen Mandrel to come back in stock. I also need a live centre for the headstock and a couple of imperial drill bits which are a both harder to source than I expected.

Anyway my name is Jimi, you will find me Indie Shed whenever I can. Looking forward to getting to grips with the forum and chatting with the members.

Jim

Grand Master
Good to have you on board Jimi .. Plenty of good guys in here on stand by to give advise should you need it .. Need any help forum side then this forum should help you my friend .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Jim, have a look at UK Drills where you'll find most drills (except the one that Jim wanted)

Indie Shed

Registered
First Name
Jimi
Many thanks for the warm welcome, there is a great atmosphere on here. :thumbs:

I have had a good read of a few threads and I have a few questions of my own which I will post in the relevant forums.

My first puzzle is to decide which of the woods I currently have to make the pen from, I was at Turners Retreat (A great place) and picked up a few different blanks there last week.

I will post a couple of pics of stuff I have turned, I'll have to get them from my phone. I know everyone likes to laugh. :winking:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you already know that half on here are just mad the other half are insane except for the odd one or two which are very odd indeed.:mooney2::mooney2::mooney2:

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the madhouse!

Don't worry, the pain of spending all the money on kits, blanks, drill bits, mandrels, finishes etc goes away fairly quickly (well, it becomes more of a dull ache as you get used to it).

The hobby is definitely worth it though!

Alan

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).