• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen with ruler sleeve

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Could be a pain in the bum if the pen held at the wrong angle is really with etched lines in the rule it would give a bumpy line IMHO for marking blanks very handy. Another way to go with a pen on the desk it would not move around. The pen has promise rather use a 6 inch steel rule.

Welcome Josh to the forum if you bought one tell us how it is. Like to see what you make thanks for showing this unit.:thumbs:

Peter.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Could be a pain in the bum if the pen held at the wrong angle is really with etched lines in the rule it would give a bumpy line IMHO for marking blanks very handy. Another way to go with a pen on the desk it would not move around. The pen has promise rather use a 6 inch steel rule.

Welcome Josh to the forum if you bought one tell us how it is. Like to see what you make thanks for showing this unit.:thumbs:

Peter.
The etching will be microns deep

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I think you might have missed the point a wee bit here Josh. This forum is populated by people who make pens, so your chances of flogging yours here are pretty slim. Looking on the positive side though, you have got 184 credits so you might be in for a raffle prize if you play your cards right.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
I assume Josh is the designer and after some feedback

I don't think this would have a wide enough audience:nooidea:

we like interesting designs..i think

but we do make our own pens

Steve

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Te first thing I see is a geezer trying to flog us pens so should be in the sell forum.
Second thing I see is he ain't got any to sell so shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
No, he's designed a pen which not many people will want, because its cheaper to buy a draughtsmans pen and a ruler, and still have change left over for a good meal out, and now he's after crowd funding to the tune of many tens of thousands of dollars so he can go in to production. I don't suppose they would let him up the staircase at the dragons den.

I have no objection to what he's trying to achieve, although I do think its a product doomed to failure, but he should have been honest and up front in the first place, that way he might have got a bit of respect and even sympathy and support.

I think you've blown it here Josh ol' boy. Good luck in the raffle though:bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks Phil, I couldn't be arsed to look any further, saw what looked like an advert and came away.
Seen em come seen em go init?

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Hmmm, somehow I don't think we'll be hearing from this gentleman again.
This is a forum for handcrafted pens of distinction, not some mass produced, over priced lump of metal with no discerning features or character at all.

Bye Josh, if you need a pen full of character and individual design then come back & I'm sure one of us will be able to furnish you with something special.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
One constructive thing thing I would say to you Josh, if you're still around, is that if you see your market as techies and drausghtman, a) your ruler needs to be a bloody site longer than 12cm, b) it needs to be calibrated a lot smaller than 1mm and c) the etching needs to be so crisp that it looks like its been cut with a razor, otherwise its just another novelty for the school classroom. Techies need supreme accuracy, schoolkids need to draw a line about so long.

Not only that, there is already product which is extremely popular amongst those sorts of people and which is widely available in the market place, that if you go in to production you are going to have to compete with - its called computer aided design.

My advise to you is to forget the aircraft grade alluminium and the superdooper ink unit, make out out of injection moulded plastic and a D13 refill, and stick it in the "back to school" aisle in Walmart for two or three dollars. You never know, you may be on to a winner. At the moment I fear you are on the way to losing a vast amount of other peoples money.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
A pen thirty years late, no, sorry, forty years late. Architects don't use rulers, if anything they use scale rules, although the sun set on the day of measuring off on drawings three quarters the way through the last century. A milled extrusion out of aluminium, so what if it is allegedly aircraft grade aluminium, 6061 alloy is used extensively in ceiling design, I put thousands of tonnes of this stuff in buildings around the world, but I guess that a pen out of swimming pool grade aluminium doesn't quite have the same ring.

It is pointless unless you get one free every time you fill up with a tank of unleaded. When it might double as a letter opener. . Nice to meet you though and thanks for the detailed intro.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Maybe if it was a scale rule (300mm multi scale) I might be interested to have on my office desk and for that the price is fair. :thumbs:

But I wouldn't be interested in its current basic design :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).