• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Best pillar drill for pen turning

Tyke121

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ian
Hi ,New to pen turning and I’m finding it near impossible to drill accurately straight through the blanks ,I’ve got a Pillar drill ,Must admit it isn’t much good as there’s too much play and I can’t adjust anymore ,What’s a good drill for accuracy with pen tubes or is there any other way to drill ,Many Thanks

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hello Ian, I always drill on the lathe with pen blank holding jaws on a Nova 2 chuck and a Jacobs Chuck. Search on YouTube for that and other solutions. :thumbs::thumbs:

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
Hi Ian,
A lot of us drill on the lathe using a Jacobs Chuck and pen jaws.
It isn't always straight, just take it slow and easy.

Dave

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the site Ian. You are starting off the right way by asking questions.
I generally, like the others, use the lathe for drilling, especially segmented blanks.
If not so critical on plain blanks I use a pillar drill and a jig to hold them.
Alan

Frederick

Registered
First Name
Frederick
I've found that drilling into endgrain is always a little difficult as the drill bit will always want to take the easier route. As the others have said, use the lathe and a Jacobs chuck.
On plain blanks being in the centre is not so critical, but if making Celtic knots etc it is vital. A square blank also helps as do a set of pen jaws, but pen jaws are not really necessary.

Welcome aboard.

Frederick

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
As I look to be the "odd" one here....I use a Record drill press and a pen blank vise, the best recommendation I can make is good drill bits!!
I use the Colt bits in the 3 most popular sizes but have a set of DeWalt extreme for everything else. For me this works and is quicker than changing my lathe set up( sit back and wait for comments:whistling:):thumbs:

Frederick

Registered
First Name
Frederick
As I look to be the "odd" one here....I use a Record drill press and a pen blank vise, the best recommendation I can make is good drill bits!!
I use the Colt bits in the 3 most popular sizes but have a set of DeWalt extreme for everything else. For me this works and is quicker than changing my lathe set up( sit back and wait for comments:whistling:):thumbs:

Hello Mark

Everyone has their own way of doing things. You are correct about the drill bits. I used to use Wicke's specials and few bought from Ebay and quite honestly, they were non too good. I have also bought two sets of Bosch bits and wasn't too pleased with them either. Some were out of true and by a substantial degree. I took them back and they did replace them. These ones are better.

Cheers
Frederick

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).