• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Sat in a draw in the workshop I have a tap and die set for wood which I brought to make something a while ago but it never got used.
So I thought that I needed to at least have a go at using it so a simple nutcracker was in order, made from apple for the main body and screw and Oak for the handle.

Attachments

• 20191002_173108 (824x1024).jpg
    20191002_173108 (824x1024).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20191002_173136 (795x1024).jpg
    20191002_173136 (795x1024).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 44

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
How have you attached the oak to the apple just round dowel and glue or a square section post? I ask because I tried that about 5 years ago with the same tooling and the glue on the dowel kept breaking its bonds because of the forces if a nut was put in incorrectly ie end to end (we live in one of the biggest walnut producing areas here).

PG

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you guys

How have you attached the oak to the apple just round dowel and glue or a square section post? I ask because I tried that about 5 years ago with the same tooling and the glue on the dowel kept breaking its bonds because of the forces if a nut was put in incorrectly ie end to end (we live in one of the biggest walnut producing areas here).

PG

I just did a round tenon and glued, If I find that I have the same problem I will try a square tenon next time. If the nuts are that hard to crack I would have thought the thread may give out first.

This one will be for me.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Thank you guys

I just did a round tenon and glued, If I find that I have the same problem I will try a square tenon next time. If the nuts are that hard to crack I would have thought the thread may give out first.

This one will be for me.

The solution that I came up with but never tried, was to drill a toothpick sized hole all of the way through the top of the screw part and the dowel then insert a sliver of the main wood as a blocker which would remove some of the shearing force and be less difficult to achieve over a square section tenon and mortice. What do you think?

PG

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
[MENTION=1143]Pierre[/MENTION] I think the idea of a through dowel is a good idea but think that it would need to be a little bigger diameter than a toothpick. But it certainly is a solution and by using a different contrasting dowel would make a small feature.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
[MENTION=1143]Pierre[/MENTION] I think the idea of a through dowel is a good idea but think that it would need to be a little bigger diameter than a toothpick. But it certainly is a solution and by using a different contrasting dowel would make a small feature.
Its all a question of the shear forces involved, if the dowel is tight in the hole, then a toothpick will suffice; the grain has to go across the join. I have thumb sized pins holding in 10 metre Oak beams in my barn complete with the weight of the clay roof tiles.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).