• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I got very bored by the end!!

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Both literally and figuratively, I got very bored making the same thing over and over again. 51 short sections and 51 long sections plus 7 sets that broke on the tubes for a variety of reasons, now I know why I hate production work.

The contract was for 50 Tempests in Chrome with mixed woods. Each with the company Name/Logo (I dont have permission to show them but they are on the other side of each pen.) There are 21 in Wine Barrel Oak * in wild bird cherry (merisier) and the rest in Black walnut .

IMG_4283 (2).jpg

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
So, the mighty undertaking is complete. Well done Pierre - I admire your 50 of a kind skills. I've been there too so I know how mind numbing it can get. I hope you've charged a pretty penny for them though, and next time you have a contract for 50 Tempests, rest assured I'll be wearing my "Full of Enthusiasm and Encouragement" hat:bwink:

Tony

First Name
Tony
I can imagine that would be a 'grind' Pierre.

Out of interest, did make one pen at a time or did you drill all 50 first, then glue all 50 and so on.....?

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Hi Tony I started in batches of 10 then got bored and did the last 30 in one go. The gluing was probably the worst bit since the fingers hurt after 60 tube sandings!!

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Well done Pierre, I know the feeling. It’s nice when the pile you have to do is smaller than the pile you have already done.:thumbs:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice job, a bit of 'ground hog day's....i know it can get very repetitive.....I know it can get very repetitive...I have done a bulk order of 20....so my hat it off to you:thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Poor Pierre having to carry all that money to the bank mate. You can,t have one without the other ,however I do understand the repitition theory as well. When we had a photo studio in the 70,s we used a lot of 35mm film,Wilma bless her used a mapping pen and numbered every frame for reorders,to me an awful task.WE agreed early repetitios tasks she did,right now she is watching tV and knitting new born baby layettes,buying continually new patterns so the concentration level is high. Her output plus care bears knitted to a formula by the sackful.
I admire her so much for her sticktoivity for repeat tasks. When you accept commissions that is the penalty,the rewards are up to you,hope it is worthwhile.

Peter.:winking:

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
I feel your pain. I did this a couple of times for a local women's cancer center. 50 pens one time and 75 the next. No dollars in the bank as everything was donated. Well done sir.

Mark James

First Name
Mark
Excellent set - I agree about the production orders... Turns fun into work (for awhile).

When I have that many tubes to sand, I use live and dead centers and sand the tubes on the lathe. 80 grit paper and goes faster and the fingers like it better. I usually don't even turn the lathe off, just retract the tailstock and the tube falls out into a tray. Replace with a new tube, tighten the tailstock and proceed.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I mentioned how weary you became doing so many pens at one time to a mate in the US who said his mate had and completed an order for 1500 pens for a firm. Wow you two hats off.

Peter.:thumbs:

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
I mentioned how weary you became doing so many pens at one time to a mate in the US who said his mate had and completed an order for 1500 pens for a firm. Wow you two hats off.

Peter.:thumbs:

1500 I wouldn't even tender for it that would be too mind numbing, not only that I have found that the NEJE laser printer is only good for about 75 pens before it starts to play up.

How come the 16th of the top row is a bit overturned at the nib end???

Only the 16th??? :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).