• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What suppliers do people use

The Wood Bucket

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Not been doing this very long so only used a couple of suppliers close to me. Turners Retreat, and John Boddy, both very good suppliers who up to now i have no issues with. I have bought from ebay also. :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I also use ebay for items also i visit craft supplies at Bradwell in Derbyshire who have been very helpful on each visit. Maybe i will spread my choices the more i get into this turning lark. :devil:

Jim

Grand Master
I also use Turners Retreat its about a 25 mile ride eachway, so when i do visit i make sure i get all the supplies i need for the projects in hand. I use Timberbits for my internet supplier. David Lim the owner is very helpful when you need to contact him. :thumbs:

Old Corky

"Woodcraft" in North Houston is the only store within driving range. About 45 miles one way but some of my doctors in the area so I often make visits together. There is a Rockler store in Houston, but much further away and has a very small selection. Most of my internet orders with Penn State Inc. Some things from Hut. Masonic pen clips from Penkits UK.

Old Corky

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
"Woodcraft" in North Houston is the only store within driving range. About 45 miles one way but some of my doctors in the area so I often make visits together. There is a Rockler store in Houston, but much further away and has a very small selection. Most of my internet orders with Penn State Inc. Some things from Hut. Masonic pen clips from Penkits UK.

Old Corky

I was under the impression that Rockler stores were on the large side. :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Timberbits, Snainton Woodworking and a tree feller I've met who is now bringing me logs of oak, cherry, holly, chestnut as he gets them. Shame I've got to wait for a couple of years before they season. I'm going to try ripping some up into 1 inch planks to speed it up. Still I'll have a nice supply ready for retirement.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
Timberbits, Snainton Woodworking and a tree feller I've met who is now bringing me logs of oak, cherry, holly, chestnut as he gets them. Shame I've got to wait for a couple of years before they season. I'm going to try ripping some up into 1 inch planks to speed it up. Still I'll have a nice supply ready for retirement.

keith

If you do cut them up Keith, make sure they are sealed, i would hate to see you on retirement day finding that they have all split ... :ciggrin:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I also use ebay for items also i visit craft supplies at Bradwell in Derbyshire who have been very helpful on each visit. Maybe i will spread my choices the more i get into this turning lark. :devil:

Craft Supplies are no more, bought by Turners Retreat which was a very strange acquisition as they were a small threat to TR, but nevertheless they have been acquired and shut down.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
My choice of supplier:

Kits, Timberbits (main supplier), Woodturningz for some kits, Exotic Blanks, The Turners Workshop as Vince is really helpful, (but only for a few kits)
Avoid PSI, abouts as helpful as a chocolate tea pot, Axminster, expensive and a poor selection, Turners Retreat as they tend to stock Berea Flat and Round top kits which are awful
Adhesives - Als hobbies, very fast and goodquality for Zap epoxy
Drill bits UKdrills.com
Abrasives [://www restexpress.co.uk]
EEE Cream and Shellac, [//www. toolpost.co.uk]
Presentation boxes, my own printed with designed foam to take all pens from a slimline to a majestic, wont use wood cases, there all expensive crap!
Hardware Axminster Tools, excellent service and good quality kit
Wood, Have chainsaw will travel, and Bedford Saw and Tool, great range of exotics, Stiles and Bates have excellent quality blanks. Avoid some welsh ebayer who sells complete crap. (Nothing against the Welsh you understand, cant name names but this should help to narrow it down a bit!)
Lacquers, use a variety of car lacquers from various suppliers.
Mops, the polishing shop in Cannock.

Think that the lot

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Jim,

I overprint boxes with my logo and have paid for a foam converter to make a cutting dye to provide me with a foam insert for the box. The boxes are card but in a variety of colours. I didn't see the point of sticking a hefty three quid on the cost of a pen by putting it in a wooden box that doesn't match the pen, and which, since it isn't likely to get used as a desk pen will probably get discarded anyway. Put a pen in a box and it becomes a gift - not my words but oh so true. I'll stick a picture up of what I have tomorrow.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Be interesting to see you boxes.

I only include boxes for weddings and 21st etc, the ones that TB sells, unfortunately he stopped selling the single pen box.
When I donate a pen for raffle or auction for charity I put it in one of them metal single pen case, that makes it look higher class.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Suppliers are in the hundreds or thousand but for real service and real genuine honesty Timberbits runs at the top with exceptional freight and service.

Old Corky I burst out laughing at you combining visits to the doctor with purchases in the 1970,s my dearly beloved and I purchased a Photographic Studio in a country town so many farmers etc applied the same principle from out of town kids with every communicable disease turned up in those combined visits. Since I was taught to be cautious when we learned of the illnesses scrubbed out, burned toys, laundered extensively when they left. OK so you were like all of us men using man flue as an excuse for everything including.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).