• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

FP refill?

Harry

First Name
Harry
I've just had my first "customer complaint", well more of a problem than a complaint. I made a Classic Elite FP for this guy, and now he tells me he is having trouble finding a refill for it. He has tried 2 different cartridges and they don't fit. Does anyone know which one he should be looking for? I had no idea there would be a problem with this. I know I could get refills from Vince, but I would prefer to be able to tell customers that they can get them easily in a shop.

Louie_Powell

Apprentice Member
First Name
Louie
This is not an unusual problem. Most (and perhaps all) fountain pen kits use the 'standard short international' cartridge, or the equivalent 'standard international' converter. The problem is that the cartridges sold at ordinary stationery stores are usually proprietary cartridges that fit the main-stream pens that they sell - Mont Blanc, Parker, Cross, etc. And the proprietary cartridges won't fit in any pens other than those for which they were specifically made.

I'm a big-time fountain pen user, and my solution is to use converters (aka 'pumps') that can be refilled from bottled ink. That way, I don't have to shop for cartridges, and I have a much larger selection of ink. And ink in a bottle is less expensive than ink in low-volume throwaway plastic cartridges.

But cartridges do have the advantage that they travel much better than bottled ink, and they can be a lot less messy to use.

Most of the pen kit suppliers sell both no-name international standard cartridges and international standard converters. And you can find all kinds of suppliers on the internet. Diamine and Private Reserve are both reputable ink (only) manufacturers who package their product in international-standard cartridges that are sometimes found in pen shops.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I am surprised that Phil has not got onto this option

Steve
It's something we're looking at Steve - we're talking with a company in Austria, and one or two others elsewhere, but I have to say, I remain to be convinced that there is a big enough market out there amongst pen turners to justify the R&D and the setup. I'd be interested to know if people on this forum would get into selling cartridges or ink bottles with their fountain pens in the same way they sell refills with their ballpoints and rollerballs?

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
I see your point Phil

but I dont know how to widen your horizons to more than just penturners
as the ink or cartridges could open up to the general public

or go the whole bit and get in talks with the big suppliers (supermarkets, wh smith etc) about your refills as well

think Alan Sugar the apprentice

Steve

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
Interesting debate.

I have not used a FP since school days, so I am not up to date and I am talking historically.

I remember having access to prefilled cartridges and later the ability to use bottled ink using a pump like option on the pen, so my thought here is that a buyer of a FP should be able to readily buy refills or ink to refill, and if the pen seller does not stock or supply, they should advise the buyer how to refill and where to purchase said items.

Maybe not as straightforward as I remember but food for thought for those of us who sell pens of all types in terms of customer service.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I would buy a few cartridges Phil but not a lot. Most people like the refillable reservoir and I supply one with every FP pen I sell.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I'll get shot down in flames but will say it anyway.
The customer is an idiot, simples.

A regular user of any item with consumables should be used to replacing those consumables.
Therefore should at least know where to purchase replacements and what the options are on those replacements, ensuring the correct parts in the first instance.

I see the onus on me as a supplier to ensure my customer is correctly instructed on the use and purpose of my products.
User manual, helpline, spares repair service, warranty, a copy of consumer laws.

If I sold a product which used consumables (I have in the past) I would ensure I had adequate stock, ready for ripping the punter again.
Education, communication and pride in your work is all that's required from both parties.

Failing that a good sharp knife usually works.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
I'll get shot down in flames but will say it anyway.
The customer is an idiot, simples.

A regular user of any item with consumables should be used to replacing those consumables.
Therefore should at least know where to purchase replacements and what the options are on those replacements, ensuring the correct parts in the first instance.

I see the onus on me as a supplier to ensure my customer is correctly instructed on the use and purpose of my products.
User manual, helpline, spares repair service, warranty, a copy of consumer laws.

If I sold a product which used consumables (I have in the past) I would ensure I had adequate stock, ready for ripping the punter again.
Education, communication and pride in your work is all that's required from both parties.

Failing that a good sharp knife usually works.

not shot down at all Brian

I know where your coming from

the issue is more a case of ....was the pen not supplied with a single cartridge or filler ?
all pen kits come with one, don't they ?
if a filler then simples..buy a bottle ink

if a cartridge then the customer should realise what size it is

had a bit of sort of similar recently
sold a pair

the customer took the biro out and left behind ..replaced with mont blanc before he left the house...was gutted as never had a beaufort to prove him wrong...reminder..must order some

took the ink cartridge out and asked for a pump...which I luckily had

Steve

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Serious question Jim fountain pen sellers have a duty biro pen sellers likewise seems to hasve gone too far already glad you raised it here on the forum. Welcome from over here.

Peter.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I stock Herbin ink in bottle and cartridges along side my beaufort refils. It gives the customer more choice and also makes a good display:thumbs:

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Apologies for reviving this thread but it goes to show that there is a wealth of information on the site.

Just had a problem with a recipient who purchased Quink cartridges which are too large for the TM Alpha I made them. They insist in using cartridges so I just ordered some standard cartridges for them :thumbs::thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Quink cartridges are made by Parker, and I'm afraid the only pens they fit are Parker pens because their mouth is wider. Almost all kit pens take a "standard international" cartridge.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).