• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help ! Wifes birthday !!

spike589715

Apprentice Member
First Name
Simon
Hi Guys
My lovely wife has mentioned that she would like a fountain pen for her birthday
she fancies something in pink .... and not to big as she has quite small hands
any thoughts on nice kits - UK available and blanks ?
I was thinking a white and light pink swirl type thing ? how do I stop the tube from showing through ?
I have so far made 3 pens so limited experience - I have a metal work lathe so at this time shaping is a little more tricky - the ones I have made have had parallel sides - but I am working on a way to support a tool in my lathe so I can use woodworking tools

any thought at all on this project !

Thanks
Simon

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
To stop the tube showing through you can paint the tube or better still paint the inside of the hole you drill in the blank, if you paint it white it will lighten the blank colour, and if you paint it black it will darken the blank whatever colour you paint it will have an effect to a lesser or greater degree.

The majestic junior is a really nice pen she may or may not like it, because it has a swarovski crystal on the clip, I have just looked and Axminster only do the rollerball not the fountain pen.

As for supporting your tools I have bent a piece of rod so that when it is in the toolholder it is the right height, you may need to put some flats on the rod where it sits in the toolholder so that it doesn't turn.

Peter

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I would suggest you go to Dan for a kit. Taylorsmirfield is his site and you will find him on this forum. He also has some blanks so you may find something suitable there. Dan also does the bushes if you are going to use bushes but I suspect on a metal work lathe you may be turning between centres.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I can't comment on what kits are available in the UK. But if I were going to turn a translucent pink and white blank, I'd paint the inside of the blank; paint the tube; and color the epoxy. I'd use either white or pink paint. I use spray paint for painting tubes; spray or acrylic paint with a cotton swab for the blank; and acrylic paint for coloring the epoxy.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 72
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 72

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Pen kit, Americano http://www.theturnersworkshop.co.uk...its/americana-24kt-gold-fountain-pen-kit.html it's a smaller pen, gIve vInce a call..

Just realise he is showing oit of stock.:sob:

As for blank, a really nice pink and white swirl effect..

Like these. http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=962&highlight=Flamingo

It's a flamingo pen blank from Merv at UK pen kits. He only makes to order now a days so may have to buy at least 6 at a time.

http://www.ukpenkits.com

If you are stuck then I may be able to help out, think I have a couple in the cave. PM me if you are stuck..

Last edited:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Does your metal lathe have a morse taper head stock and tail stock? what size?. Metal lathe tool holders can use a special grind for timber follow the grind used in copy lathe fittings work beautifully. Turning parrallell is fine for so many kits and yes that great advice to check out a phone call to Dan seems great advice to me mind you I have no Idea where Stevanage is in relation to Dans place but his mailing is legendary so is he IMHO. Watch out for Jim he paints the whole town red but his results are super. My metal lathe was sold with a wood turning kit and that was in 1965 I bought it much later 2nd hand the attachments were with it.

Show us your lathe etc much easier to compare and help Simon.

Peter.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
You're going to get lots of different opinions as to which pen kit to go for.
My suggestion would be the Baron. So far every Baron I have made (bar one) has been sold and sold to women for themselves.
If Dan hasn't got any, Turners Retreat should have.
As far as the blank goes the advice given by Peter and Jim above is what I would advise as well :thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
In a couple of weeks Spike, the Mistral fountain pen will be available. As far as I know, it will be the slimmest fountain pen available from a UK supplier. They're hopefully on a cargo plane as I speak, so should be available very soon.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Phil has just beaten me to it Simon. I trialled the Mistral for Phil and it is a superb pen. The nib and the converter are of the highest quality and the gold plating is as good as I have seen on any pen kit. The pen is a perfect size for the female hand. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
In a couple of weeks Spike, the Mistral fountain pen will be available. As far as I know, it will be the slimmest fountain pen available from a UK supplier. They're hopefully on a cargo plane as I speak, so should be available very soon.

I thought you had an image of the Mistral on your site, but I couldn't find it to give a link to Simon. Do you have a link?

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Or you could make it easy on yourself Simon and ask Woody to make one :winking::ciggrin: he doesn't half churn them out. :funny:

I've turned a few of the pink blanks Mark has posted from the Turners Workshop and though I think they're horrible, the ladies love them, didn't last long before being sold. Where sunglasses when you turn it.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I thought you had an image of the Mistral on your site, but I couldn't find it to give a link to Simon. Do you have a link?

Peter
The Mistral pages aren't quite ready yet, but there are a couple of images in the gallery, http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/gallery.html which I've attached below. The first one is by Woody and the second is by Terry Miller (thanks guys for the photos)

woody.jpg

terry miller.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).