• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sometimes this happens

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
This would have been a platinum Cigar pen. It happened when I was pressing the tip coupler into the lower body. Very frustrating and disappointing. It was a nice looking blank, too. It was a Woodshed blank called Rusty Rebar. It was the second one I turned, and it was hard and apparently brittle. I probably didn't clean out the brass tube enough before I pressed the coupler in. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Attachments

• 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 110

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Hate it when that happens, i've started rubbing a little wax inside the tube, not sure if it helps but this hasn't happened since i started doing it ... do really do that many plastics to tell for sure

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Dismantle the pen & remount on the mandrel & turn the end down to the tube & glue contrasting pieces on each end then re-turn & polish it.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
That happened to one of my pens. :sob:
I turned the damage area down to the tube and glued on a piece of contrasting wood which I then turned down to size. It looked ok, but not great; my son loves it though.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I have had exactly the same thing happen recently. I have set in on one side whilst I decide what to do. I feel your pain. I have wondered whether one could CA the break and then return an polish but I must say the idea of turning down and putting a contrasting piece in sounds good.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Been there and done that, like many on here I think we all at some time have cracked the blank. Even though you can do as suggested for me it is a write off and would start again.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
For quality control, bin it start again as it will only ever be a salvaged pen and a make do and mend.

If you glue it up with CA that is all it will ever be, a glued up dodged up pen.

In my view a wasted time and effort on it, as every time you look at it that is a reminder of what you could have done.

I look at my bin and think you have had the best years of my life you have :funny: and that s how you treat me.. Forever wanting!!! to be emptied..:rolling:

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
For a while now, I've wanted to make a pen with one body colored, and the other black. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try it. I had to get the coupler out of the blank before I could turn it off the tube. Since the body is tapered, I drilled a 1/2" hole in a piece of scrap wood, which allowed the body to only go in about half way then stop. I used a transfer punch to pop the coupler out of it. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 30

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
When I turned it off, I noticed there wasn't much epoxy on the broken end. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Attachments

• 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 29
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 29

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I cleaned the tube with my 1" belt sander. I had a piece of a Rhino Coal Mine blank that was long enough, so I drilled it. Since the Coal Mine blank is opaque, I didn't need to paint the tube or color the epoxy. I made sure I used plenty of epoxy this time, completely coating the inside of the hole.

Attachments

• 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 086.JPG
    086.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 092.JPG
    092.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).