Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, just joined

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, just joined

First, thanks to Jim for sticking with me in helping me to post. I'm Carol. I live in New Jersey, USA. I've been turning almost 2 years. While most people would be off to bigger and better turnings after this length of time, I'm still enjoying turning pens and other small objects. I know probably less than a thimble full of knowledge, but I keep plugging away. I blew out 3 pens today, so my frustration level made me hang it up. My husband and I belong to a turning group and we do craft shows maybe a half dozen times per year. I guess one of our biggest sellers is bullet pens. Another good seller, (even though quantity is small) is wine bottle stoppers, made from the actual grapevine from a vineyard. That was my husband's idea and he deals with them. Twisted vine is gorgeous to me. There's a lot of failure in making the vine into stoppers, because you have to find an area that is conducent to standing up as a bottle stopper. I love "ugly". I think that's why one of my favorite woods would be spalted. The more grody, the better. Though spalted is one of my blow ups today. I've seen this idea other places, but didn't steal the idea, as I came up with it by myself. I take a drumstick and use the part of the stick with the business end of the stick. I turn a pen from it, leaving the rounded nub and don't add a clip to it. Well, I hope to find some time to poke around here and hope I learn a lot. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alex
    Welcome to the best pen turning forum around it also the most friendly

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vic
    Welcome Carol to our mad house I'm sure you will feel welcome I haven't been on here that long and already feel like part of the family Im more of a bowl turner but there are some mighty fine pen turners on here to help you on your way look forward to seeing some of your work soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jim
    Hello Carol and welcome to the forums, really pleased you were able to get in here ... I am also pleased to hear you like "Ugly" we have quite a few in here along with myself ... I don't know about you learning from us, what i just read we could learn from you .. Would love to see some of your vineyard stoppers and drumstick pens ...
    “Every day is a gift. It’s just, does it have to be a pair of socks?”

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Carol,
    Welcome to the madhouse. Don't pay any attention to anyone with the grade of Lecturer - they're all quite "special" in their own way

Although you will get a lot of advice it really helps to switch on your sense of humour before to log on to this forum

Mike

7. Likes Jimjam66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hello Carol and welcome to the forums, really pleased you were able to get in here ... I am also pleased to hear you like "Ugly" we have quite a few in here along with myself ... I don't know about you learning from us, what i just read we could learn from you .. Would love to see some of your vineyard stoppers and drumstick pens ...
    she wont learn from us as we forget every thing also forgot to say i am the second youngest on here

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Carol a warm welcome from me happy to see you here look and we look forward to seeing your work.

An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Terry
    Welcome to the Comedy Playhouse Carol. I'm sure you will enjoy the topics and the banter on this forum!!!!
    Regards

Terry

https://www.facebook.com/myworldofpens

"I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work". Thomas Elva Edison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Carol and welcome, look forward to you posting some of your work!!!