• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi, just joined

Carol1411

Apprentice Member
First, thanks to Jim for sticking with me in helping me to post. I'm Carol. I live in New Jersey, USA. I've been turning almost 2 years. While most people would be off to bigger and better turnings after this length of time, I'm still enjoying turning pens and other small objects. I know probably less than a thimble full of knowledge, but I keep plugging away. I blew out 3 pens today, so my frustration level made me hang it up. My husband and I belong to a turning group and we do craft shows maybe a half dozen times per year. I guess one of our biggest sellers is bullet pens. Another good seller, (even though quantity is small) is wine bottle stoppers, made from the actual grapevine from a vineyard. That was my husband's idea and he deals with them. Twisted vine is gorgeous to me. There's a lot of failure in making the vine into stoppers, because you have to find an area that is conducent to standing up as a bottle stopper. I love "ugly". I think that's why one of my favorite woods would be spalted. The more grody, the better. Though spalted is one of my blow ups today. I've seen this idea other places, but didn't steal the idea, as I came up with it by myself. I take a drumstick and use the part of the stick with the business end of the stick. I turn a pen from it, leaving the rounded nub and don't add a clip to it. Well, I hope to find some time to poke around here and hope I learn a lot. Thank you.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Carol to our mad house I'm sure you will feel welcome I haven't been on here that long and already feel like part of the family Im more of a bowl turner but there are some mighty fine pen turners on here to help you on your way look forward to seeing some of your work soon

Jim

Grand Master
Hello Carol and welcome to the forums, really pleased you were able to get in here ... :thumbs: I am also pleased to hear you like "Ugly" we have quite a few in here along with myself ... :goesred: I don't know about you learning from us, what i just read we could learn from you .. Would love to see some of your vineyard stoppers and drumstick pens ... :whistling:

MikeD

Registered
Hi Carol,
Welcome to the madhouse. Don't pay any attention to anyone with the grade of Lecturer - they're all quite "special" in their own way :whistling:

Although you will get a lot of advice it really helps to switch on your sense of humour before to log on to this forum :bwink:

Mike

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Hello Carol and welcome to the forums, really pleased you were able to get in here ... :thumbs: I am also pleased to hear you like "Ugly" we have quite a few in here along with myself ... :goesred: I don't know about you learning from us, what i just read we could learn from you .. Would love to see some of your vineyard stoppers and drumstick pens ... :whistling:

she wont learn from us as we forget every thing :wink: also forgot to say i am the second youngest on here :face:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Sounds like you're doing some interesting and innovative stuff over there Carol, look forward to seeing it. Don't take any notice of the banter, we're all mad. Some more than others. Catch us on a good day and you actually get some sense.

keith

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Welcome Carol. In my mind I'm rehearsing "Carol from Noo Joisey". Yes, we're a strange lot! Post some pics of your drumstick pens, please - I'm finding them hard to visualise.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya Carol, come in put your feet up and pour yourself a drink.
Settle down and join the banter I ain't been ear long meself but everyone nose me already init?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning here Carol welcome to this Forum it is different I guess its called unusual. From a natural history program recently we learnt New York was the centre of the universe before the land masses separated.

Enjoy the information it is different with a twist. We all buy over time from few wholesale sources through to us so prices are hard to balance out. In the States the metric system has not taken hold however most of us understand imperial and metric.

Trust this forum helps you and us.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Hi Carol,
Welcome on board, as Jim has already said we have some ugly one's here. I am one of them....:funny::funny::funny:
You're like this forum, a great bunch of characters and the wealth of knowledge is unbelievable. Again Carol as Brian has said 'pull up a chair and pour a drink and get in amongst it' ...:banana::banana:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Carol ..Welcome to the forums.. I am relativity new here and without doubt the least knowledgeable around. I am however a very nice person.Like your idea of using vine wood for stoppers.. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.:thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).