• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pine Cones, Burrs and Roots

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have just come back from my wood store and managed to find some bigger cones although no massive and some tiny ones to embed in acrylic. The one with the red box is the normal one I have.
Cones.jpg

This is my favourite Silver Birch and I have been delaying taking it down until I understand the best way of processing it to stand a good chance of it being usable.

SBBurr.jpg
SBBurr2jpg.jpg

This is a Chestnut that was blown down and half the roots exposed. You can see the trunk indicated with the arrows and the limbs are growing upright looking just like young trees. The root still buried is obviously still viable and I want to chop into the exposed root to see if there is anything good in it.

ChRoot.jpg

I don't know what tree this is, but it is just a mass of burr.

UnBurr.jpg

I also checked out some more Rhododendron that is about 12" dia. If I can get that to spalt I am looking forward to it.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
You need to keep this wooded area under wraps Peter, should Alex get a whiff of this he will be packing his chain saw ... :devil:

Some good looking stuff you have shown us Peter .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You need to keep this wooded area under wraps Peter, should Alex get a whiff of this he will be packing his chain saw ... :devil:

He can cut down all he wants, he just can't take any away with him:nonono:

Some good looking stuff you have shown us Peter .. :thumbs:

I only have to start the chainsaw and the Silver Birch start to self spalt, I just need to teach them how to fall over and break into the right sized pieces:winking:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
WOW that is some wood store you have Peter :thumbs:

I wish it really was mine, although it's the next best thing as it all belongs to my mate and tell him to take care of my woodstore, but he has no interest in the wood itself apart from burning it. He is happy for me to take what I want, but I don't like to take stuff I can't use or will rot away before I get to use it. I have also metal detected on it and had a few lovely finds.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Its even nicer when you can harvest the wood yourself Peter, especially when its as nice as the stuff you've shown

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have been looking at that silver birch for about 2 years and asking people at the club how should I process it, the best I got was to turn it green, I think that would be a great waste. I am just a bit worried about not getting it right and it ruins the burr so that I only end up with pen blanks:sob:

Peter

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
I have been looking at that silver birch for about 2 years and asking people at the club how should I process it, the best I got was to turn it green, I think that would be a great waste. I am just a bit worried about not getting it right and it ruins the burr so that I only end up with pen blanks:sob:

Peter

I turned a lovely pen once out of a silver birch burr once! It sold pretty quick too! :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).