• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Timber

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Went to work today and was given 6 pieces of cherry 12 inch thick by 12 inch long cut 4 years ago so should just be about seasoned. Also 8 pieces of hawthorn 6 inch thick which should be lovely to turn but was only cut yesterday so will have to wait a couple of years. More wood to come so may have to buy another shed to keep it all in.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
How big is the Hawthorn Keith, If it is in large sizes you may be better off part turning it while it is still green, that is if you know what you want to make with it ... :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I think its in the 12 - 18 inch range Jim. I'll just put it in the corner and forget about it for a while.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
If storage is a problem for you, Keith, I could take it off your hands. Not that I want to, you understand - just doing my bit to help a fellow turner in need! :whistling:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
If you're ever round north wale david give me a shout and I'll gladly sort something out for you

keith

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
You hav some good pieces of timber there Y/Man. You'll miss all the fun of turning wet wood if you put it away. :whistling:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I've never turned wet wood, maybe I should try it. I think I've got some big chunks of unseasoned chestnut coming next week.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
If you turn bowls Keith, wet wood is fun to turn just like Andy says. It is worth the experience. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).