• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

.308 bullet pens a question for you.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
When drilling the hole in the base of the case to accept the tube. What size hole do you drill I am assuming you use a 7mm tube. Is it a press fit or do you glue them in.
I machined a 6.9mm hole and the tube just slides thrhough the hole is this correct.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi mate,
I use my normal 7mm drill and it's a sliding fit, neither tight nor baggy. I don't glue this end as I found I crushed too many slimline transmissions there was no give when pushing in ( I also found this with truestone blanks)
If I use bullet heads drilled to take refills then I don't use a tube and drill the primer pocket to take the transmission only.... šŸ˜

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I am preparing some .308 cases for a pen turner freind I am machining the hole in the base of the case to 6.9mm I just wanted to make sure that was the correct size to accept a 7mm tube. The tubes are a snug fit at 6.9 but easily slide in and out for some reason I thought people were press fiting the tubes.
I have also machined some bushes for him to use with his bullet pen projects and if they work for him hopefully he will post the results in the forum.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Hi mate,
I use my normal 7mm drill and it's a sliding fit, neither tight nor baggy. I don't glue this end as I found I crushed too many slimline transmissions there was no give when pushing in.
And I thought that there was something wrong with the transmissions. Now I know, Mark @flexi
Now I might make a few more.