• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A few blanks

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Very nice projects there Alan.

Bottom left I’m guessing black palm inclusions ?
How do you turn that without it self destructing into splinters or maybe that’s just me ( turning it longitudinally rather than the cross grain youll be encountering. I’ve used a whole lot of superglue so far and stabilizing resin didn’t improve things a lot sadly.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
How do you do basic segmenting. I personally don't have a saw but have access to one, but the tutor I have only comes in one day a week if he is able to because of health problems....
Tom, if you don't have access to a table saw you can cut segmented pieces using a saw and mitre box, 90, 45 and 30 degree angles.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan

How do you turn that without it self destructing into splinters or maybe that’s just me ( turning it longitudinally rather than the cross grain youll be encountering. I’ve used a whole lot of superglue so far and stabilizing resin didn’t improve things a lot sadly.
I will be turning it while holding my breath.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Not too shabby Alan! 😂

Do you sell your blanks or do you generally make them for personal use? So will these all become pens turned by your fair hands?

Cheers
Ash

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan

Ian, I turned the end grain Palmira yesterday. No issues. I posted a photograph of the tools that I used in a new thread.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Not too shabby Alan! 😂

Do you sell your blanks or do you generally make them for personal use? So will these all become pens turned by your fair hands?

Cheers
Ash
Praise from the Master!!!
Thanks Ash!
I don't sell my blanks though I have done a few swops for nice timber.
My enjoyment is making up the design into a blank. Some of them don't even get drilled but sit in a drawer. If someone like one then I make it into a pen.
I have stopped making a lot of blanks into pens.