• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Banana Wood query

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I bought this Purpleheart at an auction last night and it came with this piece labeled Banana Wood.
It is definately not from a banana tree, which doesnt produce solid wood, but, I assume, has been given the name just because of the colour.
Anyone know what it is?IMG_2816.JPGIMG_2818.JPG

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I'm not sure what the species is, but the wood I know as babana wood is used to make furniture of the "less expensive" type. It's a sort of teak substitute, or so they say, but in my experience it's nothing like teak, either in colour, hardness or durability, and is soft enough to easily mark with a fingernail (or a ballpoint, if you happen to be a grandchild using the kitchen table without any padding under the paper you're writing on)

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I'm not sure what the species is, but the wood I know as babana wood is used to make furniture of the "less expensive" type. It's a sort of teak substitute, or so they say, but in my experience it's nothing like teak, either in colour, hardness or durability, and is soft enough to easily mark with a fingernail (or a ballpoint, if you happen to be a grandchild using the kitchen table without any padding under the paper you're writing on)
Phil, I've been informed by some on IAP that it is Canarywood ( Centrolobium )
I checked that out on the Wood Database and they seem to confirm that.
Someone on IAP suggested that Canarywood is also known as Bananawood in America, though I've never heard it called that before.
It has a lovely colour and will be a great asset when segmenting, along with the Purpleheart.

Hope that you are enjoying the sunshine down there in the tropics.

Alan

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Drat! I was late seeing this and I would have guessed Canary wood. Honest Alan!

Always annoying when I miss a chance to look like a smart Alec!

Anyway I’m glad you got to the bottom of it.

Cheers
Ash