• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Calligraphy kits

Big Al

First Name
Al
Any recommendations on calligraphy kits? I only know of two, one in the UK Taylor’s Mirfield, but they are always out of stock, and one in Canada, William Woods-right.
are there no chinese / Taiwan suppliers or anyone in the US?

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Beaufort ink is a Bock nib agent, I have used some of his bigger width nibs for calligraphy customers....

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Al are you looking for different kit styles than the ones you mentioned or ones that might cost less? Up until now I only knew about the William Wood-Write set. You are kind of sol unless you want to fit nibs from a seller like Beaufort into kit pens you want to use. I would think a set of pens, each with a different nib would have more appeal to a calligrapher than the sets with interchangeable sections and only one body. Can't say with certainty as I don't know any to ask.

Pete

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
any fountain pen kit can be used for calligraphy by just swapping the nib over

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
The cheapest way is to make dippy pens and a set of nibs I used to do a lot of calligraphy including posters and that was my preference0BE54A74-EB2A-42FE-8D55-9ECC4D774195.jpeg

Big Al

First Name
Al
Al are you looking for different kit styles than the ones you mentioned or ones that might cost less? Up until now I only knew about the William Wood-Write set. You are kind of sol unless you want to fit nibs from a seller like Beaufort into kit pens you want to use. I would think a set of pens, each with a different nib would have more appeal to a calligrapher than the sets with interchangeable sections and only one body. Can't say with certainty as I don't know any to ask.

Pete
Thanks Pete. Good point on the individual pens, I’m just curious to see what sort of demand there is for a set but it’s a narrow market I think. however I do get enquiries sometimes……

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
A majority of people who are seriously into calligraphy would always use dippy pens as there are so many different nibs some up to an inch wide its easer to just swap pens rather than change nibs and clean them before you can continue also there are severl different types of dippy pens as I said I used to do a lot at one time but its been so long since I have lost track now