• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Car insurance 😵‍💫

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
Just thought I would ask and see how everyone else is doing if they have had the annual car insurance renewal yet?

I have paid about £600 a year Fully comp on a VW Touareg - 12 years no claims and clean license
Just had mine through from Admiral and it’s now………£2,348.75 😲😲😲😲

I knew it was going up but by HOW MUCH 🤬😱

Doing the obligatory search for a different company now and so far prices are about £1500 pa 😭😭

akirk

First Name
Alasdair
mine was down this year - was with a company who wanted to increase it, but then did a price match against an online comparison quote so saved a couple of hundred (400+ instead of £600+) - the classic range rover is the same as before and the mini (when I moved from the jag) came in at more than the jag which was £650 so looked around and got it for c. £250 - not done badly so far...

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Money Saving Expert website has a very interesting article on how to limit increases in car insurance premiums, including the optimum day to buy.
Mike

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Sorry to have to tell you Colin, although mine also went up by a vast amount, I'm with Admiral too, on a 2-car multi policy, one of which happens to be a Touareg (although probably older than yours) but the renewal was just over 1k for both. You might find the most expedient route is just to phone admiral and argue with them. Perhaps your hefty renewal is because you need to insure for bussiness use too? that would make a huge difference.

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
Sorry to have to tell you Colin, although mine also went up by a vast amount, I'm with Admiral too, on a 2-car multi policy, one of which happens to be a Touareg (although probably older than yours) but the renewal was just over 1k for both. You might find the most expedient route is just to phone admiral and argue with them. Perhaps your hefty renewal is because you need to insure for bussiness use too? that would make a huge difference.
What I’ve found, as over 70’s we were made to pay more. I looked at the mileage we were actually doing. We had previously set at 12k per year.
We were not doing that so now set 10k per year. That reduced the premium.
I guess that the insurance companies check our MOT mileage, Only guessing!

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
Sorry to have to tell you Colin, although mine also went up by a vast amount, I'm with Admiral too, on a 2-car multi policy, one of which happens to be a Touareg (although probably older than yours) but the renewal was just over 1k for both. You might find the most expedient route is just to phone admiral and argue with them. Perhaps your hefty renewal is because you need to insure for business use too? that would make a huge difference.
Hi Phil
Yes, this was the excuse.. Millage hasn't really changed (around 40,000 business miles per year) but they now class that as a high risk.
Phoned a couple of companies now and have got it down but still double what it was... :rolling:

Gert Fitcher

First Name
phil
I read in The Times some years ago of a woman who inquired whether her household insurance covered a leaking a tap - she was told it didn't. That was all she wanted to know. When she tried to insure her car the cost rose by several £100s simply because she had made an inquiry, and the bots had picked it up. All forms of insurance inc. travel are apparently all interlinked now, so if you make a minor claim or even an inquiry on one the others will all go up.
Much of the current increases are thought to be because the much higher cost of accident repair and breakdowns and recovery of electric vehicles that may be, but I suspect that's an easy bandwagon to jump on.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
Just thought I would ask and see how everyone else is doing if they have had the annual car insurance renewal yet?

I have paid about £600 a year Fully comp on a VW Touareg - 12 years no claims and clean license
Just had mine through from Admiral and it’s now………£2,348.75 😲😲😲😲

I knew it was going up but by HOW MUCH 🤬😱

Doing the obligatory search for a different company now and so far prices are about £1500 pa 😭😭
Try "Go Compare" for a Lexus rx450h last year was £750 fully comp, free rental car on accident, home/roadside recover. windscreen etc. with Aviva. This year after shopping around got all the above Halifax came in with all the above @ £650.52. 14years no claims
Worth a look