• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chocolate Lime Mosaic Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hello pen people!

It’s only been a week or so since I last went into my workshop but when I went in yesterday
1) it felt like it had been more like a month
2) I’m pretty sure I didn’t leave it like that!

Anyway hope you all had a good Christmas, I’m away for new year but managed to make a quick twixtmas pen - another in the mosaic colours I’ve been making recently. This one I’m calling Chocolate Lime Tessera (the small tiles the romans used for making mosaics). I’ve had to partly line the cap and barrel as I’m not sure the laminated nature of the blank would take a clean thread (but to be honest I haven’t tried).

Anyway here it is.

Happy New Year to you all. And as I always say it doesn’t matter about anything else, as long as you’ve got your wealth health.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_8495.jpegIMG_8498.jpegIMG_8504.jpegIMG_8506.jpegIMG_8508.jpegIMG_8488.jpegIMG_8491.jpeg

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Wonderful pen, Ash.

I'm a bit confused about the blank - did you purchase it as a mosaic, or did you slice up and segment it yourself? My first thought was that it's pre-made, but comments imply you've ventured into segmented blank making. I wouldn't doubt that you'd excel at it if you were to go there, but it's a whole different level of commitment to the art (and one that I'm not ready to even think about!)

Happy New Year!

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi all

Thanks for the kind comments!

For the avoidance of doubt, and I should have been a bit clearer in my original post, I didn’t make the blank myself, I bought it.

It is laminated/segmented acrylic (I’m actually not exactly sure on the correct term here).

By looking at them I can only conclude they are made in a three step process:
1) blanks of solid single colour are made and sliced lengthways.
2) different coloured slices are then glued together along their lengths to create a stripy blank
3) these are then cut crossways to create discs (or squares actually) and these are rotated randomly and glued back together to create the check effect.

When I first used one I actually drilled it too hot and a lot of glue melted and oozed out between the cracks.

Anyway I hope that clears it up!

Cheers
Ash

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Technically Excellent and the lines , finish and skill level are wonderful to behold as always Ash but not to my taste and I don’t know why 🤔, no offence intended.

Wishing you an excellent New Year with lots of dog hiking and “ medicinal lubricant / antifreeze “to keep you going. Every success and look forward to seeing your exquisite new creations next year.

Stay safe and healthy 🍷