• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Collet chucks

d_bondi

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Why not skip the MT2 adapter and get a collet chuck that threads directly onto the spindle (eg. 1 x 8 TPI but depends on lathe model).

One less item to add to potential runout.

MikeO

First Name
Michael
Axminster Tools make a Junior Chuck that threads onto headstock. It uses ER20 collets.
Using Morse Taper you can go up to ER32

monophoto

First Name
Louie
Yes, you can buy ER32 collet chucks that screw directly onto the headstock spindle.

Here in the US, there are (or at least were) three suppliers. Penn State sells a set that screws directly onto a 1"x8tpi spindle, and Craft Supplies sells what looks like the same set except that it is threaded for 1 1/4" x 8tpi spindles. Both come with adapters to fit other spindle sizes, and five imperial-dimensioned collets that span the range of 1/4" through 3/4". The Beall Tool Company also offered a set, but they retired last year and sold their product line to Lee Valley in Canada. I don't know if Lee Valley is continuing the collet chuck product.

You can also purchase standalone ER32 collet chucks from various suppliers. And you can buy collets individually or in sets. Buying a set is usually the least expensive admission to this game. One thing to note is that collets have a fix, and rather small, compression range - typically about 1mm. In the case of imperial-dimensioned collets, this means that sets typically have gaps between 'standard' collets. You can purchase individual collets to fill these gaps if necessary. However, metric-dimensioned sets typically include more collets that seamlessly move between diameters; therefore, there are no gaps and you don't need to look for individual collets later.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Lee Valley is making and selling the Beall Collet chucks in 4 thread sizes.

Your other option is to buy an ER32 collet chuck from a metalworking supplier like Chronos or ArcErotrade and making/have made a threaded adaptor. Maybe a faceplate if a good quality could be used.

Note if you use a Morse Taper type chuck you must use a draw bolt to hold it in the headstock.

Pete

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Why not skip the MT2 adapter and get a collet chuck that threads directly onto the spindle (eg. 1 x 8 TPI but depends on lathe model).

One less item to add to potential runout.
Sadly they don’t sell direct thread ER32 collet chucks in the UK. I have suggested this omission to Axminster tools but they don’t seem interested. I’m aware you can get them in Germany and the USA but shipping makes it expensive.
I’ve adapted the 100mm flange mount ER32 chuck from my metalwork lathe to also fit my wood lathe.

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Note if you use a Morse Taper type chuck you must use a draw bolt to hold it in the headstock.
A further disadvantage of using a Morse Taper style collet chuck is that you don't have the option to push the rod of material through the hole in the drive spindle.

I typically make nib sections from 15mm diameter black ebonite, and with the rod pushed through the headstock I use exactly the amount to make a section, with no waste until the rod gets down to the last inch or so.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
According to me is the hole in the drive spindel 9mm here in europe. I use a m33 colletchuck and And I bought the loose collets somewhere on Ali for cheap
Her my collet chuck https://drechslershop.de/maschinen/spannen/spannzangenfutter/1863/spannzangenfutter-set-er32
The brand is Burt

I wouldn't normally disagree with such authority such as yourself. :winking: But it depends on the lathe one has. My Nova has a through hole of roughly 14mm in both the headstock and tailstock. My Grizzly midi lathe (generic 12" x 20") has 10mm through holes the the headstock and tailstock. Both lathes use number 2 Morse tapers with the Nova having a 1 1/4" x 8 thread and the Grizzly a 1" x 8 thread. Every maker gets to decide to do something a little different depending on their mood and colour of socks they are wearing.

Your Burt is a nice chuck.

Pete

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I have a nice collet chuck set that screws direct to the thread of my Axi 1416 so it's threaded 33 x 3.5. I bought it a number of years ago from Chonos Ltd and it's decent quality, I don't know if they still sell them but maybe worth a bit of searching. Mine has imperial size collets up to 3/4" but they're E32 as far as I remember so could buy metris if needed.
If you can find a threaded chuck that was one of the other popular sizes you can get adapters fairly easily.

Attachments

• collet chuck 1.jpg
    collet chuck 1.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 5
  • collet chuck 2.jpg
    collet chuck 2.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 5