• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Compressor for Resin casting, how small can i go

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Hi all

Sorry for the yet another Newbie question.

Been looking into doing a bit of Resin casting to make my own blanks and have been watching loads of videos on the University of YouTube šŸ˜‰ zand although I feel comfortable with the process and understand what equipment I need before I can start, pressure pot etc, there is one important detail everyone skips over and that is compressor size, do I have to have a large workshop size compressor or could I get away with the little airbrush compressor I already have, although IIRC it tops out at 40 psi, is that enough for bubble free resin casting or do I need something that can go to 60 psi, I did see one video of a guy using a cycle hand pump which only went to about 20 psi and that seemed to work.

Would my little compressor do, or have I got to add the cost of a bigger compressor to all the other gear I will need.

Thanks for any guidance with this.

Paul

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I think you might struggle with the volume needed ipfor the pressure vessel vs time before resin cures .

I use 45 psi but a moderate size compressor. You could pre pressurize a gas cylinder and use that as @ bigger reservoir of air to get upto pressure quickly ? Itā€™s also about keeping it as pressure for about 30;mins minimum whilst it partly cures

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).