• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Converting lathe to variable speed

Maria

First Name
Maria
Hi all,
Newbie turner here, have a Record DML305 but would love not to have to change belts so often. Have seen cases where treadmill motors or even washing machine motors have been used to run lathe but although up for most things, my electrical knowledge is not extensive -I can change plugs and light fittings and am not afraid to learn —so wondering if
1- is it worth the effort ?? (I’m not doing enough to justify another lathe or upgrade yet)
and
2- can it be done without bringing in an electrician??
Some YouTube videos available but seem to refer to USA supply. Am grateful in advance for any advice from your forum members’ experience
Maria

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
The short answer is Yes and others have done so....
Please wait for someone with more knowledge to pop along and help you further, I am not good with either plumbing or electric.... Not bad for a maintenance man ehh😎😎

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I fitted an invertor and a new motor to my metal lathe to give me variable speed. I bought it has a package It took about half a day to fit it.

monophoto

First Name
Louie
Suggest contacting the manufacturer.

There is at least one lathe retailer here in the US who sells a variable-speed retrofit kit for their single-speed lathes. The kit consists of both a speed controller and a motor, and it seems to me that the conversion would not be that difficult.

The Record Power web page shows that they used to offer a variable speed upgrade for some of their lathes, but its not clear that the upgrade is still available or that it would fit your lathe.

Knowkeys

Apprentice Member
First Name
Steve
you need to buy an inverter

amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PWKBQT6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

220V AC VFD Speed Controller Variable Frequency Drive for 0.75kW Single-Phase AC Motor​

connect AC plug to input side and “socket” to output side. AT2 single phase input and output.

Double check with notes provided.

you can get from around 30% speed to 100% of belt speed.

I put an emergency stop in line and put a tachometer to give an indication of speed but is not required.

works well.

I have some photos but cannot see how to link them

Knowkeys

Apprentice Member
First Name
Steve
Includes a speed table for each belt position

Tachometer on outside of spindle activated by magnet

Upload worked in chrome

Attachments

• 737D96D5-3D2A-4257-99DF-3842ED47247B.jpeg
    737D96D5-3D2A-4257-99DF-3842ED47247B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 4F7F11A7-B2B8-4CBC-830E-C78C0048C00B.jpeg
    4F7F11A7-B2B8-4CBC-830E-C78C0048C00B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 5E203FD5-0F59-4411-B8E9-A8780A1FF80B.jpeg
    5E203FD5-0F59-4411-B8E9-A8780A1FF80B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 83CC0C4D-F103-4C13-8936-BF647AC7A6B3.jpeg
    83CC0C4D-F103-4C13-8936-BF647AC7A6B3.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 28
  • EE650A42-28E4-4820-8415-498CA5E08772.jpeg
    EE650A42-28E4-4820-8415-498CA5E08772.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31

Maria

First Name
Maria
Thanks so much to everyone for all the information- I will take it all on board and try to figure out my best solution. I assumed that the kit in the USA would just suit their 110w supply. I have some more investigating to do. Thanks again.

Maria

First Name
Maria

Upload worked in chrome

Upload worked in chrome
To Knowkeys, Thanks so much for going to the trouble of sending these photos. I hope I can do something similar. Best wishes-M

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks so much to everyone for all the information- I will take it all on board and try to figure out my best solution. I assumed that the kit in the USA would just suit their 110w supply. I have some more investigating to do. Thanks again.
If the US kit being referred to is sold by Penn State then it is 110V only. It is a DC motor like most of the inexpensive midi lathes and you will need to do some belt swapping.

Sometimes the easier route of selling the manual lathe and putting the money towards a new lathe is easier, especially if the technical and mechanical abilities are not strong.

Pete

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Sometimes the easier route of selling the manual lathe and putting the money towards a new lathe is easier, especially if the technical and mechanical abilities are not strong.

Pete
Yep what Pete says!
Thing is Maria you’ve got a cracking little lathe there already. Personally I’d soldier on until I was really ready for the upgrade…at which point your current lathe, Record DML305 I believe, will keep a pretty good resale value allowing you to upgrade to a different machine…note I didn’t say better… because your little lathe is already in my opinion a cracking little lathe and should give you many years of excellent service.
Should you make a mess of things the last thing you need is a broken lathe and having to buy either a new machine or the expertise to fix it. Just my opinion 😀

Knowkeys

Apprentice Member
First Name
Steve
you don’t need modifications to lathe with setup shown using VFD.
wire the box following instructions and plug lathe in.

it‘s a good solution until you can afford or want to upgrade.
cheers

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I would hesitate to buy from America something that is prolific much closer to you,they are no longer rocket science these days. If you can in your area find a Wood group mostly I have found there are very helpful people to help you,all the best in your endeavors.

Maria

First Name
Maria
Yep what Pete says!
Thing is Maria you’ve got a cracking little lathe there already. Personally I’d soldier on until I was really ready for the upgrade…at which point your current lathe, Record DML305 I believe, will keep a pretty good resale value allowing you to upgrade to a different machine…note I didn’t say better… because your little lathe is already in my opinion a cracking little lathe and should give you many years of excellent service.
Should you make a mess of things the last thing you need is a broken lathe and having to buy either a new machine or the expertise to fix it. Just my opinion 😀
For the present, I’m sitting tight
Yep what Pete says!
Should you make a mess of things the last thing you need is a broken lathe and having to buy either a new machine or the expertise to fix it. Just my opinion
I would hesitate to buy from America something that is prolific much closer to you,they are no longer rocket science these days. If you can in your area find a Wood group mostly I have found there are very helpful people to help you,all the best in your endeavors.
Many thanks for advice, Penpal, have joined local woodturning group and already they’ve been very helpful in other aspects.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Google Newton Tessla they sell packages for lathes its were I bought my set up from it came with every thing I needed to up grade my lathe to variable speed.
But.
There is all ways a but the lathe I up graded was a metal lathe.
My wood lathe is one of the Axminster offerings I bought it second hand from some one on this forum for about £150 and it is variable speed.
You might be better off hanging on to your current lathe for now and looking for a second hand variable speed one.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
My first variable speed conversion was a speed genie many years ago. It was easy to fit and gave many years of service till I sold the lathe.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).