• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Copper Checkmate Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hello pen people.

Got hold of some nice mosaic materials recently and managed to actually get some time in the workshop to turn one. (Surely at this time of year I should be in the workshop more, not less).

Anyway this material is, as you might expect, laminated and the laminations happen along both the length and the width of the blank. I can only guess that lots of different coloured strips are glued together to create a stripy blank, then that is cut into slices that are all randomly rotated and glued back together again to give the checkered effect.

I’ve never used this material before and wasn’t sure how stable it would be, especially for threading as there’s quite a lot of lateral torque applied when threading a pen and it can cause bits to rip off if it’s not very solid or too thin.

So I decided to add a more stable resin for the threaded areas and matched this with the section and finials. This is quite a bit more work as it’s somewhat akin to making a pen kit from acrylic and then adding the sleeved parts to it. This is the same approach I use when making pens from wood.

I’m also part way through making a pen from trustone that uses exactly the same method so, assuming it works out ok, I’ll post pictures of that too once it’s finished.

Details:
Acrylic pen with 13mm triple lead cap threads.
Length: 144mm closed
Jowo no6 nib with “Ready Inked” engraving
Chrome plated roller clip
Sterling and Argentium silver metalwork

Cheers
Ash

IMG_8023.jpegIMG_8026.jpegIMG_8029.jpegIMG_8035.jpegIMG_8015.jpegIMG_8017.jpeg

First Name
Gary
Hello pen people.

Got hold of some nice mosaic materials recently and managed to actually get some time in the workshop to turn one. (Surely at this time of year I should be in the workshop more, not less).

Anyway this material is, as you might expect, laminated and the laminations happen along both the length and the width of the blank. I can only guess that lots of different coloured strips are glued together to create a stripy blank, then that is cut into slices that are all randomly rotated and glued back together again to give the checkered effect.

I’ve never used this material before and wasn’t sure how stable it would be, especially for threading as there’s quite a lot of lateral torque applied when threading a pen and it can cause bits to rip off if it’s not very solid or too thin.

So I decided to add a more stable resin for the threaded areas and matched this with the section and finials. This is quite a bit more work as it’s somewhat akin to making a pen kit from acrylic and then adding the sleeved parts to it. This is the same approach I use when making pens from wood.

I’m also part way through making a pen from trustone that uses exactly the same method so, assuming it works out ok, I’ll post pictures of that too once it’s finished.

Details:
Acrylic pen with 13mm triple lead cap threads.
Length: 144mm closed
Jowo no6 nib with “Ready Inked” engraving
Chrome plated roller clip
Sterling and Argentium silver metalwork

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 51297View attachment 51298View attachment 51299View attachment 51300View attachment 51301View attachment 51302
Lovely looking pen, great colours.♥️