• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

CrushGrind Salt & Pepper Mills

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
As the title says, decided I'd try these after getting the mechanisms at a great price, needed a few jigs making as they were not as easy as I first thought they might be....
Top end mechanisms I think I've just about done them justice. The Salt is made with Ash & the Pepper is Brown Ivory - that I'd never used before....it's very heavy and seemed more like granite and blunted my gouges pretty quick!

Padster

Attachments

• IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3536.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3534.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5

Rich Aldrich

First Name
Richard
As the title says, decided I'd try these after getting the mechanisms at a great price, needed a few jigs making as they were not as easy as I first thought they might be....
Top end mechanisms I think I've just about done them justice. The Salt is made with Ash & the Pepper is Brown Ivory - that I'd never used before....it's very heavy and seemed more like granite and blunted my gouges pretty quick!

Padster
Would like to see your jigs!!! I have the sorby crush grind tool. Have not tried it yet!

Good work!

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Would like to see your jigs!!! I have the sorby crush grind tool. Have not tried it yet!

Good work!
Rich, I've got the woodcut mill drill as well - I'm guessing they are similar, but in order to complete the grinders I made a couple of jam-jig/cones to be able to turn between centres after rounding and drilling the centre hols out, and for finishing the top.
One fits the bottom end where the grind mechanism goes and then I just use a live drive centre on the other end, and the other goes into the top recess (I also rebate the top mechanism piece) and I use a centre up until the last moment and final finishing touches to the top.

Does that make sense?

Padster

Rich Aldrich

First Name
Richard
Rich, I've got the woodcut mill drill as well - I'm guessing they are similar, but in order to complete the grinders I made a couple of jam-jig/cones to be able to turn between centres after rounding and drilling the centre hols out, and for finishing the top.
One fits the bottom end where the grind mechanism goes and then I just use a live drive centre on the other end, and the other goes into the top recess (I also rebate the top mechanism piece) and I use a centre up until the last moment and final finishing touches to the top.

Does that make sense?

Padster
Yes it does! Did you use the mill drill? I have one. Really burned the wood.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Lovely job Paddy.

I forgot until I saw this pos but I made some of these a little while ago and they are really nice kits but I remember it being quite hard work too.

As you say making a couple of wooden jigs helped, but the drilling sticks out in my memory. It seemed to go on for days šŸ˜‚.

Worth the effort though, as yours show. Top job.

Cheers
Ash