• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finally finished

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
As you know I don't have a workshop but go to a Men's Shed locally where I make my pens etc. Will still have to cut and drill my blanks there but will be able to make my pens at home. Just a few pictures off the finished shop....

Attachments

• 20230723_181446.jpg
    20230723_181446.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230723_181436.jpg
    20230723_181436.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230723_181422.jpg
    20230723_181422.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
I can remember when my workshop looked that clean! many years ago.
Kelvin
As I said I only finished it in the last couple of days. So apart from glueing in a few tubes haven't done a think apart from getting storage in place and lathe moved in . The bench I made myself from scratch. Haven't got a shelf to put knock out bar in or any lathe attachments etc...

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Excellent work Tom,
BUT where does the kettle go???
Its very satisfying to make your own bench isn't it-even better when it ends up level without a wobble!!
Mike

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Spent today redrilling some Sierra blanks as tubes wouldn't go in. All tubes went in smoothly
So started to glue in everything going smoothly till one before the last. Got the glue on put into the blank and twisted took back reapply glue put in opposite end and pushed up got halfway and it stuck put bit of wood on top and tapped with a hammer. And it bent in half so goodbye to a nice resin blank..........

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
ENJOY.. Wont be long and will be rammed with all the oooooh tools and blanks etc
Tools, Sierra kits, European kits, some slimline, wood blanks, layered dyed wood blanks, acrylic blanks etc.
Only thing I haven't got is my tool rest as is trying to make me a longer one, plus an s shaped one for bowls as well as a disc sander and rest that I can sand blanks on the lathe.
So getting there........

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Excellent work Tom,
BUT where does the kettle go???
Its very satisfying to make your own bench isn't it-even better when it ends up level without a wobble!!
Mike
Kettle goes on either the metal shelving unit or on the shelf beneath the plugs.......
Also radio/Cd player on the shelving unit already........

Attachments

• 20230723_181436.jpg
    20230723_181436.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Kettle goes on either the metal shelving unit or on the shelf beneath the plugs.......
I knew there would be a place for it somewhere!! Also room for a jar of bovril!

Mike

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Sorry Rich,

The kettle on this side of the pond is what you boil the water in, and Bovril is a beef extract used in soups and meat dishes, but when it is cold in the workshop, a teaspoon full in a mug of boiling water is an excellent tasty hot drink.
I understand (something I have just found out) that the US runs on 110 volts but we have 240 volts, and therefore electric kettles are not that popular in the US because they are slow in boiling.

Sorry for the confusion, and I hope my assumption doesn't add to the confusion!!

Mike

Rich Aldrich

First Name
Richard
Sorry Rich,

The kettle on this side of the pond is what you boil the water in, and Bovril is a beef extract used in soups and meat dishes, but when it is cold in the workshop, a teaspoon full in a mug of boiling water is an excellent tasty hot drink.
I understand (something I have just found out) that the US runs on 110 volts but we have 240 volts, and therefore electric kettles are not that popular in the US because they are slow in boiling.

Sorry for the confusion, and I hope my assumption doesn't add to the confusion!!

Mike
Thanks for the explanation. We use 110.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
put the cd unit in a plastic bag or dust will eventually silence it by contaminating the laser ( just don’t ask how i know )

Nice set up

Suggestion an old card board box to put pens in whilst finish cures over night is handy too