• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishing

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
I have been asking about the methods used to finish pens recently. As someone pointed out to me that one of my recent pens seemed a bit rough. I have been told various options, but one person advised me to try different options till I found what I like.
However on one of my recent pens I got the blue roll stuck to it and had to sand back and restart.
I was watching a Utube video and it was mentioned that he used melamine and ca glue and had similar problems and glue wasn't spreading evenly as he would have thick at start and as it seeped into the paper it would get thinner.
What he came up with was the thin foam a child would get in primary school to cut shapes with and stick on paper to make a picture.
Reason given was it doesn't soak in as quickly as paper and was less likely to stick to the pen and also gave an even finish with no droplets. Also he could get at least 2 coats on and then cut off part used and start again.. was going to start but thought I would share and get some options??

Brian

First Name
Brian
I have been asking about the methods used to finish pens recently. As someone pointed out to me that one of my recent pens seemed a bit rough. I have been told various options, but one person advised me to try different options till I found what I like.
However on one of my recent pens I got the blue roll stuck to it and had to sand back and restart.
I was watching a Utube video and it was mentioned that he used melamine and ca glue and had similar problems and glue wasn't spreading evenly as he would have thick at start and as it seeped into the paper it would get thinner.
What he came up with was the thin foam a child would get in primary school to cut shapes with and stick on paper to make a picture.
Reason given was it doesn't soak in as quickly as paper and was less likely to stick to the pen and also gave an even finish with no droplets. Also he could get at least 2 coats on and then cut off part used and start again.. was going to start but thought I would share and get some options??
Not that I’ve done a great deal of polishing with CA, but I did read where folks were using the little polythene bags that the pen parts come in as spreaders.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Some people use the little zip lock bags that the pen components come in.... Again what works for some!
Ooops posted same time as above!

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Not that I’ve done a great deal of polishing with CA, but I did read where folks were using the little polythene bags that the pen parts come in as spreaders.
Brian,
I don't like CA finishing as I prefer Melamine Laquer. However, like CA it seeps into the paper and you can get a catch with the paper towel and will wrap around the pen and if you can't you have to start sanding again.
What the guy was saying is you put on paper and immediately it starts to soak in and you will get a full part at the start and a thinner end at the end of the pass. He put it on a thin piece off foam as it didn't soak in as quick and you got a more even coat over the whole pen also it didn't wrap around the pen the way a paper towel would....

Just thought I would share with the group and also try out as well......
Also part used you just cut off and still have the rest...

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
I don't like ca finish and avoid it.
However if your blue towel is sticking to the turned blank, I suggest you are doing several passes with the towel.
I was always told one pass only before the ca has a chance to cure.

My opinion only. You must find your own method that you are comfortable with. If you want to make several passes, the craft foam pads cut into small squares works.

Mike

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
I don't like ca finish and avoid it.
However if your blue towel is sticking to the turned blank, I suggest you are doing several passes with the towel.
I was always told one pass only before the ca has a chance to cure.

My opinion only. You must find your own method that you are comfortable with. If you want to make several passes, the craft foam pads cut into small squares works.

Mike
Like yourself I don't like CA finish. I usually let lathe run between coats but if first coat is still tacky, when I start the second coat if possible I have maybe applied to much pressure it will sometimes catch the paper and wrap around the pen..

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
if first coat is still tacky, when I start the second coat if possible I have maybe applied to much pressure it will sometimes catch the paper and wrap around the pen..
You should not apply a coat if the previous coat is still tacky. It can do nothing but adhere to the paper. Wait until cured or use an accelerator if needbe.

martin.pearson

First Name
Martin
As some others have said I don't use a CA finish, I prefer a melamine finish & have been using that for most things since someone on here pointed me towards the tutorial on this forum.
If the CA is still tacky when you go to apply your second coat then wait until it has cured, you may be doing something wrong like using the wrong CA or trying to put to thick a coat on at one time. Practice is the only way you are going to get it right & sometimes sanding back again & then re-applying is the only way lol

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
As some others have said I don't use a CA finish, I prefer a melamine finish & have been using that for most things since someone on here pointed me towards the tutorial on this forum.
If the CA is still tacky when you go to apply your second coat then wait until it has cured, you may be doing something wrong like using the wrong CA or trying to put to thick a coat on at one time. Practice is the only way you are going to get it right & sometimes sanding back again & then re-applying is the only way lol
Martin,
I must have said wrong thing in my post. I don't use CA glue as I don't like it. Just saw a post where the guy said if put onto a paper towel it starts to soak in and didn't get an even coat on pen.
He changed to foam a child would get in kindergarten and found it gave an even coat on the pen. I use Melamine but it is either to much or it's not dry and sometimes the paper catches..