• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Green pen refills

Maria

First Name
Maria
Hi all,
Everyone has been very helpful in the past so I’m hoping for a solution to this problem. I have a friend who only uses green ink/ biros. I promised her a pen before finding out that it is very difficult to access Cross- type refills in green. I wonder if anybody knows of a source. There are Schneider refills in green available – these look like Parker-style replacements. Which pen kit would you recommend I use to incorporate these if no Cross refills can be accessed ?? There are also plain green Biro refills available but I have no idea how to modify the inside of a Slimline / or other kit to accommodate these. These are the simple ink in a plastic tube type with a tip usually held in by friction in the regular cheap Biros.
Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and replies to this post
Maria

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have seen green 'Cross' refills in Rhymans... Or as above you could use a rollerball conversion in a fountain pen with green ink??
As to what pen use a Parker style refill.. Eh Sierra, Sirocco, Headwind, loads of others

Maria

First Name
Maria
fountain pen, filler and a bottle of green ink?
That sounded like a “ duh” was intended- that solution may be obvious to you but I’m a relatively newbie and haven’t tried fountain pens yet- going by the conversations on the forum, they seem a lot more complicated than biro- type pens- involving taps and dies and various nibs that have to be manipulated in order to work effectively- but maybe I just need to go to You-Tube for basic instructions on making fountain pens. If I find Green Rollerball refills, I’ll try my first one of those - I have a kit, just been doing bowls recently.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion-
Maria

Maria

First Name
Maria
That was in reply to “akirk “ not to “flexi” - Thanks for suggestion- unfortunately no Rymans in Dublin. Will try Rollerball kit as above.
Regards
Maria

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
That sounded like a “ duh” was intended- that solution may be obvious to you but I’m a relatively newbie and haven’t tried fountain pens yet- going by the conversations on the forum, they seem a lot more complicated than biro- type pens- involving taps and dies and various nibs that have to be manipulated in order to work effectively- but maybe I just need to go to You-Tube for basic instructions on making fountain pens. If I find Green Rollerball refills, I’ll try my first one of those - I have a kit, just been doing bowls recently.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion-
Maria
I think you may have the wrong end of the stick.
There are plenty of Fountain pen kits which hold both ink converters and cartridges which you can fill with any colour ink you want.
They are no more complex than a ballpoint kit to make.
Going down the route of taps and dies means that you make the whole pen from scratch without a kit- see any post from the expert bespoke pen maker Valley boy (Ash)

Mike

Maria

First Name
Maria
I think you may have the wrong end of the stick.
There are plenty of Fountain pen kits which hold both ink converters and cartridges which you can fill with any colour ink you want.
They are no more complex than a ballpoint kit to make.
Going down the route of taps and dies means that you make the whole pen from scratch without a kit- see any post from the expert bespoke pen maker Valley boy (Ash)

Mike
Yes,Mike

Maria

First Name
Maria
Sorry, meant- Yes Mike, thanks and apologies to akirk- will get into action on simple fountain-pen kits- was reading posts from Valley Boy and thinking that fountain pens were out of my league completely- his are wonderful! But seem so complicated that I just never contemplated making one. So thanks again to akirk, flexi and particularly you for putting me straight 🤓😄

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Depends where you get your kits from, but try a Leveche from Beaufort ink, cracking value especially in these times...
Nothing too complicated even on assembly... and Phil is great to deal with and gives good support 'IF' you need it
There are loads of other kits you could try too, but this is my go to and recommend... :thumbs:

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_134538.jpg
    IMG_20230707_134538.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
I bought some on Ebay. If you can't get any let me know. The green ink refils are required for teachers marking work. Glen

monophoto

First Name
Louie
Hi all,
Everyone has been very helpful in the past so I’m hoping for a solution to this problem. I have a friend who only uses green ink/ biros. I promised her a pen before finding out that it is very difficult to access Cross- type refills in green. I wonder if anybody knows of a source. There are Schneider refills in green available – these look like Parker-style replacements. Which pen kit would you recommend I use to incorporate these if no Cross refills can be accessed ?? There are also plain green Biro refills available but I have no idea how to modify the inside of a Slimline / or other kit to accommodate these. These are the simple ink in a plastic tube type with a tip usually held in by friction in the regular cheap Biros.
Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and replies to this post
Maria
Monteverde USA make Cross-style ball point refills in the standard black and blue, but also in red and green. They are available on Amazon

Historically, Cross offered refills in various colors and line widths, but today they only sell black and blue.

monophoto

First Name
Louie
Expanding on my previous post - - -

I used to be the Editor of a Magazine, and a pen turner on the side, and one of my authors noted that the one thing that made the Editor unique is that he 'had the red pen'. So when I retired from that role, I chose to present my successor with a red 'slimline' pen to mark the occasion. I made the pen, but had an awful time finding a red refill to go in it. Historically, Cross offered refills in various colors and line widths, but today they only sell black and blue.

Monteverde USA make Cross-style ball point refills in the standard black and blue, but also blue-black, brown, purple, red, green, orange and pink. Finding a supplier of individual green refills may be a challenge although ordering from the manufacturer is an option. Amazon appears to offer a set of refills that includes green along with other colors. There are more options if the pen takes Parker-style refills - Schmidt, for example, has several possibilities. And as others have noted, roller ball refills are more widely available in colors other than black and blue, and the ultimate solution is a fountain pen with a bottle of green ink.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Don't know if you got sorted or. Not but as Flexi said the Sierra pen has a Parker refill and are easy to turn ...

Attachments

• 20230605_130026.jpg
    20230605_130026.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
William Wood-Write in Canada have 2 kinds of green rollerball refills that should work in any rollerball kit pen. Pentel use them in retractable click pens so they might be adaptable to kits with clicks. They are bigger in diameter compared to Cross type refills so won't work in those kind of pens. You might be able to locate them locally but WWW is much cheaper than I could find on Amazon.

Pete