• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Moray

pen-guin

Apprentice Member
First Name
Murray
Hello from a very wet and cold Mosstodloch, Moray in NE Scotland.

My name is Murray and I have just started wood turning. I have made a couple of pens and would really like to know the best product for gluing in tubes to blanks. 😊

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi Welcome
I use thick Super Glue CA. Dont use thin it goes off way to soon. Or you can use two part epoxy. I have all ways used CA.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Gorilla glue for me. Just be careful that the glue expands as it sets so very occasionally will push the brass tube out.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I use 24 hour ( slow setting or “precision “ Araldyte as I like the long setting time and hard cure. I’ve tried gorilla polyurethane and it works ok but, as has been said it expands and can move the tube a bit. Also tried CA ( thin ) but didn’t like it. Not tried the thick though so cannot comment on that.

Sorry forgetting my manners, Welcome to the forum 😳

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Welcome.

I’m in the two-part epoxy camp for gluing larger surface areas that require more work time such as tubes/barrels/caps etc. My preferred brand is BSI quick cure 5 minute epoxy.

Anything with smaller surface area (and hence needing less working time to get right) I use medium CA, also from BSI.

Cheers
Ash

His Nibs

First Name
Richard
Welcome to the forum Murray.
I use ZAP Z-Poxy (PT39) 30 minute which gives me time to do a batch.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Welcome to the forum Murray, I use Gorilla PU and don't have any issues, I did use CA and glued a few tubes half in and out especially wood one :chuckle:.... I alway have a couple of blanks tubed ready to go and just drill and glue more replacements each session

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
CA glue, every time. Don't forget to lightly sand the tubes and clean them with meth's. I push the tube in one way first, twist and then turn around and push the tube in the other side and to the depth needed. Never had one brake away from the tubes when turning. Just insure you reamer or file the inner tube out before fitting the kit together.
Kelvin