• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help please

Meisear

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tim
Hi,
I recently inherited this chuck from a good friend which as it turns out has the perfect fitting jaws for one of my projects. I was going to buy extra jaws for my nova chuck but it seems a shame that this one isn’t being used. It’s obviously quite old but works well and is in good condition.

Now the problem ! It doesn’t fit my lathe which has a shaft thread of 1inch 8TPI. I am hoping I could get an adapter but I don’t know nor can I find out the thread it has now. I can’t find any makers mark or information on it so I’m at a loss. My only other thought was perhaps I could get a 1” 8 tpi tap and after checking the size it seems to be about an inch so I wonder if anyone has done any thing similar? Any help or advice would be great and I hope this is the correct forum part to ask. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6728.jpeg
    IMG_6728.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6727.jpeg
    IMG_6727.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
A 1" x 8tpi tap that will thread steel is likely to be very expensive. (I have a tap to thread wood, but there's no way it would thread metal.)

I think your best bet would be to find a nearby metalworking company, or an old fashioned hardware store, and ask if they can help you (1) determine the thread specifications of the chuck, (2) figure out if the chuck has an insert to adapt the threads (such as the Nova chucks, for which you can get inserts to make the chuck fit lathe spindles with 1"x8, 1.25"x8, M33, and so on).

If the chuck doesn't have an insert that can be removed and replaced with a 1"x8tpi adapter, I'd ask if they could re-thread the chuck for you. It'd be a lot higher chance of running true if the threads were cut by a professional than by me.

Meisear

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tim
Good advice thanks. I had a thought that if I knew how old it was I’d then have some idea of the thread such as imperial or metric but then again I’m not sure if that right anyway.

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Beaufort inks have a range of lathe spindle thread adapters and Phil Dart there may be able to offer good advice
Mike

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
to find the threa it has now take some blue tac and a strong piece of wood . Put the blue tac on the wood and after running a little fine oil into the thread apply it into the thread then withdraw with the blue tac ( hopefully ) still attached to the wood. You can now measure the thread using a thread gauge. Measure the diameter of the hole and that should give you a fair idea .

If the lathe is 1’ by 8tpi you can buy a ready made chuck back plate from RDG tools in 4 or 5’ diameter , it’s a common size . You then need to replace the one that’s on the chuck , assuming it’s removable ( most are )

If there’s enough metal ( ie it’s definitely smaller than 1’ ) you could have it bored out and re threaded if you know any friendly model engineering guys

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Tim,

From the pics you have put up, that’s more likely to be a modified metal lathe chuck, maybe from a Swiss made or older German made lathe. Most wood turning chucks have the screw holding fixtures ruining centrally down the sliding jaws. Yours seem to be affixed around the chuck body, not the jaws.

As an old engineer, an adapter to fix within the chuck and be true to the chuck body threads, would cost, maybe more than the cost of a new modern chuck and set of jaws, which could be changed with others.

That’s just my thoughts.

Kelvin

Meisear

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tim
Thanks Kelvin and everyone else that’s all very interesting and all makes sense. I’m going to try the blue tack trick just out of interest anyway and take it from there. I don’t really need the chuck as I have 2 nova and a Rutlands small one, but I have it and it bugs me that I couldn’t find any way of getting to use it. It came with several sets of jaws so it could be useful but it’s not a game changer.

Must say I’m impressed by everyone’s efforts to help and hope to be able to help someone in the future