• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hollow form

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Superb in every respect - and each picture as I scrolled down the page was a treat. The form is one of my favourites - perfect curve transitions, not a flat spot anywhere. I've never seen that surface treatment before - is it metallic paints applied by stippling? And the final gloss coat really does make it scream "look at me!!!!"

Oh, and a nice demure finial/lid - nothing too fancy that might draw the eye away from the main attraction, but very gentle on the eyes in itself.

If you offer that for sale, I cannot imagine it hanging around long.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Totally agree with Duncan above. Great form and finish.

It takes guts to gloss lacquer over that flaked finish as any flat or imperfection will scream at you.

Got to ask what sort of wall thickness did you go for? Also any special hollowing tools used ?

apw43

First Name
Andy
Superb in every respect - and each picture as I scrolled down the page was a treat. The form is one of my favourites - perfect curve transitions, not a flat spot anywhere. I've never seen that surface treatment before - is it metallic paints applied by stippling? And the final gloss coat really does make it scream "look at me!!!!"

Oh, and a nice demure finial/lid - nothing too fancy that might draw the eye away from the main attraction, but very gentle on the eyes in itself.

If you offer that for sale, I cannot imagine it hanging around long.
Thank you Duncan
The paint used were Jo Sonja iridescent paints over a black background and I used a small piece of sea sponge to get the effect
cheers
Andy

apw43

First Name
Andy
Totally agree with Duncan above. Great form and finish.

It takes guts to gloss lacquer over that flaked finish as any flat or imperfection will scream at you.

Got to ask what sort of wall thickness did you go for? Also any special hollowing tools used ?
Thanks Ian
it was hollowed out with the crown revolution to 10mm and put aside to season, when re turned the finish wall thickness is approx 4mm. I used a round scraper tip to do the finishing cuts on the inside and then sanded the inside
hth
Andy

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
The paint used were Jo Sonja iridescent paints
Hi Andy - thanks for this information. A quick check shows it comes in 2 forms - bottle or tube. I'm guessing the tube would be much thicker if you have to squeeze it out rather than pour. Have you tried both - and if so, do you have a preference?

Thanks again!

Duncan

apw43

First Name
Andy
Hi Andy - thanks for this information. A quick check shows it comes in 2 forms - bottle or tube. I'm guessing the tube would be much thicker if you have to squeeze it out rather than pour. Have you tried both - and if so, do you have a preference?

Thanks again!

Duncan
Hi Duncan
I use the 60ml bottles, it is a thick paint anyway, which I use the Jo Sonja flow medium, you don't need much paint as a little goes a long way, I add enough flow medium so it's the consistency of double cream, if you dip the wooden end of an artist brush in the paint it should just hang of the end.
hth
Andy

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
As often as I have tried I've never been able to get a decent hollow form off the lathe intact! The only
"hollow forms" I can do are "inside out" ornaments. Your work is stunning!