• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Homemade pen assembly press

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
I have been looking at the pen assembly press on various sites. I was just wondering if any member of the forum has made their own how easy was it ,and any pitfalls if any. Do you have instructions giving sizes etc..

Tom
:think:

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
I have a set of what I would call white plastic which I use for a pen press on my lathe which was given to me. However there is a hole all the way through both, works OK at nib and clip end , but despite putting a piece of wood up the centre, it is the same dimensions as the twist mechanism and when putting it in it pushes the wood out despite glueing it in on several occasions.
Does anyone know the proper name of it and where to get it??

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I have a set of what I would call white plastic which I use for a pen press on my lathe which was given to me. However there is a hole all the way through both, works OK at nib and clip end , but despite putting a piece of wood up the centre, it is the same dimensions as the twist mechanism and when putting it in it pushes the wood out despite glueing it in on several occasions.
Does anyone know the proper name of it and where to get it??
Why not buy some plastic rod and turn your own adapters? Grey PVC rod is probably the cheapest and more than up to the job. Or you could of course use some hardwood? Just a thought.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Here is the one I made from one of those super carpy Chinese lathes that are good for nothing. Just added a toggle Clamp and some plastic end caps.

Attachments

• 20230323_092231.jpg
    20230323_092231.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Here is the one I made from one of those super carpy Chinese lathes that are good for nothing. Just added a toggle Clamp and some plastic end caps.
Would you have the dimensions of the overall of the pen press. Does the toggle clamp you mentioned come with the bar? Will it do all pens or just certain ones, only asking as I am fairly new to turning and have only done 4 types of pens to date......

Tom