• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Jig for hexagonal bespoke closed end pen

Ribaaa

Apprentice Member
First Name
Zoran
Hi,

I hope that subject is explaining everytging.
I am looking for jig that could help me to create hexagonal shaped fountain pen.

There are optiins for open end pen kits, but i am looking for closed end option.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Br, Zoran

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Okay.... Do you have an index facility on your lathe?? This would allow you to lock the mandrel in one position. What I would do then is to make a sled facility, or box to sit over the mandrel and blank you can then fix a parallel fence to the box /sled and run a router down the side of the blank creating a flat. Rotate the mandrel and blank the desired degrees and pass again... You can do 4, 5, 6,etc sides this way....
If you don't have a index facility you can buy bolt ons..
This is only one option others may suggest more, I did have a Beal pen wizard which was designed to do this and barley twist designs, but I wasn't using it so passed it on.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Yup agree the Beall type jig looks the way to go. What a fun tool. Wish I was around when you were looking to pass your on Mark! 👍 But an ornamental lathe may also be another route. I’m also looking metal lathes as I believe polygonal shaping may be easier to do on those?

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
You can make a closed end pen by making a pin chuck to fit in the tubes of your pen I have made them out of boxwood with a panel pin or a piece of brass rod

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
These are steel versions I made for closed end pens..... I used parallel pin punches and a file oh and elbow grease 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 20180604_145248.jpg
    20180604_145248.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 17

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome Zoran.

There is a pen maker here that makes hexagonal pens from scratch. His real name is Ash and he goes by ValleyBoy on the forum. Here are couple examples of what he does.
https://www.penturners.co.uk/index.php?threads/hexagonal-cheery-fountain-pen.26959/

Search out his threads and I believe he has said how he does them. Or start a conversation (message him through the forum) and ask how he goes about it. You might have to post a few times in the threads before being able to use the conversation feature, I'm not sure.

Pete

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Welcome Zoran.

There is a pen maker here that makes hexagonal pens from scratch. His real name is Ash and he goes by ValleyBoy on the forum. Here are couple examples of what he does.
https://www.penturners.co.uk/index.php?threads/hexagonal-cheery-fountain-pen.26959/

Search out his threads and I believe he has said how he does them. Or start a conversation (message him through the forum) and ask how he goes about it. You might have to post a few times in the threads before being able to use the conversation feature, I'm not sure.

Pete
Cracking idea Curly! Ash is brilliant and I too remember him explaining how he did it either here or over on IAP 👍

Ribaaa

Apprentice Member
First Name
Zoran
Welcome Zoran.

Pete
His pens looks amazing. For sure I'll look for some instructions.
Thanks a lot for the info

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).