• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Latest pen

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Just finished yesterday a new Sierra pen. However don't know what I did wrong and was was wanting to know if I have to take off with a skew or sandpaper??
Finished off after sanding with 3 coats of sand and sealer then 3 coats of Melamine Laquer and finally will cudana wax all while lathe is running. And leave lathe running between coats of sealer and Melamine for 2minutes todry.
Pen looks good but if you enlarge you will notice what looks like blue flecks of blue paper stuck to it but as far as I know none of the paper shredded.
Any advice ? Both sealer and Melamine where taken direct from the tins....

Attachments

• 20230814_200515.jpg
    20230814_200515.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230814_200530.jpg
    20230814_200530.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Tom, I have to agree with your first thoughts.... Its blue paper towel. It looks like the delamination of the weave, as your finish is drying (even on the cloth as you apply it) it becomes sticky, the towel is soft and soggy and it can take off bits of the top layer. It's easy to remove at the time with a little more finish and a clean towel otherwise it's sanding back.
Tricks to avoid it... Light pressure when applying finish, don't over saturate your towel...
Hope this helps, but otherwise it's a nice shaped Sierra, well done :thumbs:

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
I have had this with blue paper towels as well, I have also had blue dye leaching out and staining light wood. Only use White paper towels now.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
I have had this with blue paper towels as well, I have also had blue dye leaching out and staining light wood. Only use White paper towels now.
Like the kitchen rolls you would get from Tescos. I thought that they might be to absorbent that's why I got the blue roll.....

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I have had similiar issues in the past but I finish all my pens on buffing wheels so I dont have that problem any more.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Hi Tom, I have to agree with your first thoughts.... Its blue paper towel. It looks like the delamination of the weave, as your finish is drying (even on the cloth as you apply it) it becomes sticky, the towel is soft and soggy and it can take off bits of the top layer. It's easy to remove at the time with a little more finish and a clean towel otherwise it's sanding back.
Tricks to avoid it... Light pressure when applying finish, don't over saturate your towel...
Hope this helps, but otherwise it's a nice shaped Sierra, well done :thumbs:
Had to sand back to 120 to 5000. Think I got a better result. So just have to start the pencil to match and get a presentation case. Regards to glueing your offcuts. What do you use to glue say wood to acrylic and back to wood or all wood and acrylic to make a pen????

Attachments

• 20230816_154219.jpg
    20230816_154219.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230816_154202.jpg
    20230816_154202.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Much better finish Tom, well done...
I don't segment with blanks, but know others who have success with CA, but that's a minefield with thick, medium and thin, various brands, accelerator or not.... I'll let someone with better experience answer this one!

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Regarding gluing acrylic/wood etc. then what Alan said.
Occasionally I have to glue pieces that canā€™t be clamped easily due to the size or awkward shape, in which case I use CA as I can hold it in place for a few seconds. Unlike epoxy which takes quite a while to bond. So the work-time of the adhesive is also something to consider when selecting the right one.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Not done to many segmented pens but for wood to wood I use titebond and wood to acrylic or metal I use a quality epoxy. Not had any issues yet.

Don't trust CA on structural joints as it can be too brittle, don't want a pen falling in half just because someone dropped it šŸ˜‰