• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Misalignment of Barrel and Cap

Mohan

Apprentice Member
First Name
Garimella
I have a jet make wood Lathe . Use M13x0.8 Tap and die 3 start ( Barrel and CAP) from Tapco to turn size 6 Bock nibs.

My first pen ( Ebonite ) went on very well with tightness between cap and barrel being a slight issue . Practiced few times to cut tenons and recesses which is helping me to sort out the issue.

A new problem crept in yesterday .

The pen barrel and cap after threading are not aligning horizontally . I can understand the centres not matching of the raw blanks , which will mean two off centre concentric circles to be dealt . Since there is enough mass both of them can be turned about their respective axis and aligned .

However what puzzles me is that the cap and body seem to be misaligned , both in horizontal and vertical directions. When screwing into each other , both Of them are moving at an inclination. It gives a feeling of cap moving in a zig zag way on the barrel. Ultimately when it stops after two turns , the Cap and body are at an obtuse angle after great difficulty.

I turn the tenon to 13 and then wet sand it to 12.85 . The taper on the tenon is usually 0.03 to 0.04 from to end and a maximum of 0.1 MM.

However when I tried matching with my old pen , the cap fits perfectly ( in fact comparable to any of the professional brands) but the barrel continues to pose the same problem .

Seek advice.

regds

mohan

Mohan

Apprentice Member
First Name
Garimella
I apologise for above . Its so naive of me that I was using a wrong die ( different pitch ) which was only noticed when I came across the die lying else where . Sorry for the above to the forum members .