• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first one & three quarters kit-less pen.

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
After being inspired by Dave (alpha1) and his great first kitless pen I’ve finally got around to doing my own. It wasn’t without incident, but I had the mindset from the start this IS a prototype.
I chose materials in solid colours on purpose so I could see what was going on and a No6 Bock nib.

Armed with Dave’s experience, the invaluable comments and advice from Ash (ValleyBoy) and Phil’s “An intro to custom pen making” PDF, I made a plan.

I amassed the tools I didn’t have, I bought a couple of brass mandrills and made one for the cap out of a bit of acrylic.

This is definitely not a how too as I clearly haven’t the experience to impart that sort of information. This is my process first time out. I’m sure my processes will develop over time, but I think I show with a bit of thought anyone can do this.

Cap (blank about 75mm)
Drilled 10mm hole about 60mm deep, then a 12mm hole 30mm and a couple of mm with a 14mm bit.
Used M13x0.8 triple start tap about 10mm inside the cap. Shaped & finished.

Body (blank about 100mm)
Drilled a 9mm hole 78mm deep and created a 10mm internal thread with a M10x1 tap
Made a 6mm tenon about 12.9mm thick (this is what I did wrong first time and the threads ended up around 12.4mm which made the cap too loose). I created the threads for the cap with M13x0.8 triple start die. Shaped & finished.

Section (blank about 30mm)
Drilled all the way through with 7mm bit. Drilled 7.3mm hole for the nib thread depth is critical so I checked and double checked. Drilled a 8.3mm hole for the body of the nib again depth was critical so checked many times. Drilled a little recess for the cap flange. Created the threads for the Bock nib with M7.9x0.6 tap. On the back of the section I created a 6mm tenon 9.7mm thick and created the threads for body connection. Shaped & finished.

What went right - I have a usable pen

What went wrong - I cut the cap thread on the body too shallow so it didn’t engage with the cap. I stupidly tried to hold the section (via a mandrill) on the finished thread for the body as I tried to make a little adjustment with a big drill bit and the thread said no. I wasn’t happy with the shape of the section, but that mostly because I couldn’t envisage how it would connect to the body.

What I leant - new processes, its not until you have made your first complete pen that you can work out the relationship between each part (body, cap & section) and just take your time and

Attachments

• prototype 1 d.jpg
    prototype 1 d.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • prototype 1 c.jpg
    prototype 1 c.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
  • prototype 1 b.jpg
    prototype 1 b.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • prototype 1 a.jpg
    prototype 1 a.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • prototype 1 fail.jpg
    prototype 1 fail.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
We all have to learn somehow and as long as you can/do then it's progress.
Well done for trying mate(not done it myself yet) but you know the next one will be even better.... Keep 'em coming :thumbs: :thumbs:

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
(Quote) I amassed the tools I didn’t have, I bought a couple of brass mandrills and made one for the cap out of a bit of acrylic.

I am guesing this first kitless pen was a very expensive exercise.

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
(Quote) I amassed the tools I didn’t have, I bought a couple of brass mandrills and made one for the cap out of a bit of acrylic.

I am guesing this first kitless pen was a very expensive exercise.
I had or managed to borrow most of it, but as you know triple thread tap and dies are extortionate, I could have brought a whole custom pen (maybe even a Rockster if I was quick enough) for the same money, but where's the fun in that. I also needed the tap for the Bock nib and I brought a couple of mandrills which I could of made, but they were cheap enough.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
The cost of your first kitless pen, if you buy all the correct tools, triple start taps and dies, nib section dies plus mandrels etc comes close to a Montblanc Fountain pen. But the second and all subsequent pens only cost a fraction of that, fortunately.

Mine was significantly less because I cut corners, single threads on the cap and Bock ready made nib sleeves all substantially reduced the first pen costs.

Might eventually go the triple thread route but think I will stick with their sleeves.

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
Fantastic. Well done Darren. the second one is easier, I promise.
This is my second pen, I tried to get fancy before getting the basics right by adding finials and a clip. looks ok in picture but under scrutiny - not so good. I have some cognitive issues at the moment so learning anything new is a little difficult, so the 3rd pen (working on now) and the next few will be basic, before I try and get creative again.

Attachments

• IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
This is my second pen, I tried to get fancy before getting the basics right by adding finials and a clip. looks ok in picture but under scrutiny - not so good. I have some cognitive issues at the moment so learning anything new is a little difficult, so the 3rd pen (working on now) and the next few will be basic, before I try and get creative again.
It's all part of the learning curve Darren. Keep doing what you're doing, and keep learning from it, and you'll be making pens that you're happy with before you know it