• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Tools

Mike Bird

First Name
Mike
Two Slimline pens turned using my new Carbide tipped turning tools. I purchased the three tools having read a lot on the IPA site and how good they were some describe them as fantastic.
I have turned a small Bowl and these two Pens sofar and must say I am not at all impressed.
They create a lot of tear out and really poor finish on the Bowl they do remove a lot of wood quickly which may be a plus for some.
I see benefits for those that have difficulty sharpening and using a Bowl gouge but for me it's not a problem and anomaly use a Skew to turn Pens.
They really have no place in my workshop but that is only my opinion.
KEEP YOUR BEVEL RUBBING.

Attachments

• IMG20230406132351.jpg
    IMG20230406132351.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG20230403122936.jpg
    IMG20230403122936.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG20230403122847.jpg
    IMG20230403122847.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Carbides have their place Mike, but like you, I prefer to rub my bevel. (ooh err)

I find them useful as a shear scraper for the final cut on ebonite or acrylic, but other than that, I find they cause more problems than they solve.

Other opinions are available, I'm sure. :devil:

Mike Bird

First Name
Mike
Carbides have their place Mike, but like you, I prefer to rub my bevel. (ooh err)

I find them useful as a shear scraper for the final cut on ebonite or acrylic, but other than that, I find they cause more problems than they solve.

Other opinions are available, I'm sure. :devil:
I agree rarely turn Acrylic. Biut thanks for you reply.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
I was thinking of getting similar but in the end spent the money on a decent sharpening system (Sorby Pro Edge) which I think has totally transformed my turning!

Mike Bird

First Name
Mike
I was thinking of getting similar but in the end spent the money on a decent sharpening system (Sorby Pro Edge) which I think has totally transformed my turning!
I use a standard twin wheel grinder and have no problem I am time served engineering apprentice and use it for sharpening.drills and Gouges.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have the carbide chisels from Axi... as @Phil said they have their place and if it works, it works...

Mike Bird

First Name
Mike
Thank you all for your replies which I respect especially Peter who makes fantastic Pens.
But for me the Carbide tip was designed for use on CNC lathes turning metals.
Happy Easter.

Rich Aldrich

First Name
Richard
Hard to beat a skew! I learned prior to carbide and use High Speed Steel. I do have a carbide gauge. Sometimes it is the only tool that will produce finish I am looking for. Use what you have and what will work.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Hard to beat a skew! I learned prior to carbide and use High Speed Steel. I do have a carbide gauge. Sometimes it is the only tool that will produce finish I am looking for. Use what you have and what will work.
I’ve stuck with HSS and learned on it and getting reasonable results.

Have bought a carbide hollower from Simon Hope and once I get over my joy of using a ring tool to hollow I’ll be trying it out. Had the ring tool about 20 years and got some lessons a few years back from Asmund Vignes ( totally transformed my use of it )

Currently so busy any workshop time is a bonus but no rush, it’s pleasure time after all.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).