• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nib Laser Engraving

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Evening pen people.

In my last post I shared the wooden wasp/bee thing I made with my new laser cutter. Since then I’ve had a chance to get used to using this new tool and I’ve started to use it for the purpose I originally intended, namely engraving/etching fountain pen nibs.

It’s been good fun learning and I finally got the setting where I wanted them to be to give a consistent and repeatable effect.

Below are photos of 2 nibs, a Jowo and a Bock. Both now have my brand name (Rockster) engraved upon them, and in the case of the Bock I’ve also added the nib width identifier on the upper left tine (F = Fine in this example).

For those unfamiliar with Bock they don’t mark their steel/gold plate nibs with the nib size, which can cause problems when you’re dealing with lots of them at once. Jowo, on the other hand, etch the size of each nib on the side (not visible in the photo).

I spent a little bit of time setting up a small jig to hold the nibs in place whilst being engraved, but it’s pretty basic.

All in all I’m pretty happy with the results and it’s amazing the things we can do from our own homes/workshops these days.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_7035.jpegIMG_7033.jpeg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Ash , just a suggestion but a crown or some such emblem, eg guitar, a diamond wearing earphones etc, etc might be appropriate and a trademark for your work?
Thank you Ian.

Yes I do have a logo - it’s an ink splat and it features in the finial coin on the cap of each pen. I do have the option of adding that on the nib instead and I’ve experimented with both. I’m currently leaning towards having the name on the nib to compliment the logo on the cap, but who knows...

Incidentally the “Rockster” name is from my dog Rocky, who we affectionately call “The Rockster” within the family. (Similar to RockStar I know 😊).

He wears a red collar which explains why I often have Red accent rings on my pens.

Cheers
Ash

Logo Red Ring Writing.png

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Top work Ash!

My wife has a laser cutter but has struggled getting to grips with it, (I don't get involved!) but I think it could be the software, may I ask what you are using?

Padster

Emjaysee

First Name
Michael
I’ve just read your last post. Congratulations on producing that after only a day! I’ve had an engraver for some time and my progress is very slow. My main issue is getting the job in the right place so that the laser hits the right spot. I’m impressed that you’ve been able to be so precise engraving a nib. Looking forward to seeing more of what you do.