• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nib section sizes?

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Hi folks, yesterday a colleague at work came to me for some advice. She has a fountain pen - a kit made for her by a market trader some time ago - which she wants to obtain an italic nib for. Upon examination the nib section on pen appears to be a larger diameter than all of the standard pen kits that I get??
Because I work in a special establishment šŸ˜œ where mobile phones etc are prohibited items I was unable to take a picture of the pen. However please see attached drawingā€¦ itā€™s probably a good 7mm in diameter (1/4ā€?) compared to the roughly 6.2mm of say a Leveche etc, any ideas where we might be able to obtain said larger diameter nib sectionā€¦or is it possible to just change the nib out? Advice and ideas welcomed please šŸ˜€

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpeg
    IMG_5332.jpeg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5331.jpeg
    IMG_5331.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5329.jpeg
    IMG_5329.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 6

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
As above Phil has a good selection of various Bock nibs, if all else fails I know a nib grinder who could adjust a std for you to italic šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
The nibs you are used to seeing Alex, are all size 5 nibs. The nib in your colleague's pen is undoubtedly a size 6 nib, which is physically larger in all respects. They are readily available, but the question will be, what housing does it need in order to screw straight into the pen as a direct replacement?

I read what you said about phones at work, but a photo of the pen would help me to establish which housing she needs. Perhaps you could ask her to take some photos at home and forward them to you, or maybe lend you the pen for you to photograph. Without knowing what the pen is, (unless she knows the answer to that herself), she is limited to swapping a new nib into the existing housing - which is easily done if you know how, but extremely daunting if you don't.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
The nibs you are used to seeing Alex, are all size 5 nibs. The nib in your colleague's pen is undoubtedly a size 6 nib, which is physically larger in all respects. They are readily available, but the question will be, what housing does it need in order to screw straight into the pen as a direct replacement?

I read what you said about phones at work, but a photo of the pen would help me to establish which housing she needs. Perhaps you could ask her to take some photos at home and forward them to you, or maybe lend you the pen for you to photograph. Without knowing what the pen is, (unless she knows the answer to that herself), she is limited to swapping a new nib into the existing housing - which is easily done if you know how, but extremely daunting if you don't.
Thanks Phil Iā€™ll get some pics if poss!
šŸ‘

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Hi Phil do these pics help at all?

Attachments

• IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5345.jpeg
    IMG_5345.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5344.jpeg
    IMG_5344.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5343.jpeg
    IMG_5343.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5349.jpeg
    IMG_5349.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5351.jpeg
    IMG_5351.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
It is difficult to tell from the pictures but I would hazard a guess its a size 6 if so you just need to buy a nib from Beaufort ink and swop it out.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Iā€™m sure youā€™re right but Iā€™m thrown by the number 4 imprinted on the underside of the feed? Excuse my ignorance but how do I swap a nib out? šŸ˜€

Attachments

• IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thanks for the photos Alex @Hallelujahal . The pen is a Jr Gent, or possibly a Jr Statesman, but either way, it originated in China and has a Chinese #6 nib in what I call a "CH housing".

We've got those housings here and can supply a replacement nib in one, so that it screws straight into the pen. However, that particular housing is not shown as an option on the website, therefore you need to order a Bock size 6 (type 250) nib in a "kit compatible housing", the option of which is shown on the website, then send an email to Beaufort to point out that it's a CH housing you actually need.

I realise that process sounds a little more complicated than it should, but there are so many different housings out there, that we can't show every one of them online, or it would just be horrendously confusing for everyone. An email from you at the time of your order will sort it out, as whoever is dealing with your order, (which is not guaranteed to be me), will see it and know what to do. A message here on the forum will only be seen by me, so staff won't realise that a different housing is needed.

The number 4 on the underside of the feed, by the way, is completely irrelevant. It's a clue for me, as to it's origin, but other than that, the best theory we have here is that it's some kind of moulding mark to denote a position on the moulding rack during factory production, but it certainly has nothing to do with the nib size. The one you receive with your new nib will also have a number on it, which could be anything from 1 to 8.