• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nice acrylic concentrates the mind!

sutdm

Peak district (cheshire, but i'm not a footballer)
First Name
Mark
I've posted my other beginners efforts in the wooden pens section. I thought i'd post this one as well.
I love this acrylic, and having only two in my stock concentrated my mind somewhat when turning it. I bought some Jinhao x159 no.8 size nib units from Aliexpress. The thread is m10x1 so easy to source taps and dies, a quick run over with the die ensured a nice clean thread and i've used my M15 triple start thread for the cap. It's a monster (i do have large hands) and it showcases more of the acrylic. The nibs are surprisinly good (at least as good and smooth/consistent as the no.6 units i have from Bock) and a quick run over 8000/12000 micromesh is even better. Anyway, please critique as a good 'beasting' always helps with the learning process.

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_111331395.jpg
    IMG_20231204_111331395.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 34

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
That's rather nice and yes I too like a nice blank to make you focus...my most expensive blank certainly made me concentrate....

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
You’ve done a nice job there, well done.

I suspect that blank may be epoxy/polyurethane rather than acrylic, but very nice all the same.

I have a couple of small suggestions for you, which are obviously subjective, but maybe something to consider in your next pens.

First I would try to avoid the small turned down area behind the cap threads on the barrel. I know the reason you’ve done it, but personally I think it’s a better idea to thread the tenon completely and add a small rebate inside the cap instead. I think it looks cleaner and it removes the need to try to sand and polish that very narrow area of resin, which can be awkward.

Also I would try to get all of the nib housing completely enveloped within the section, including the little lip that is visible at the end. I know it’s not so easy with a no8 nib in, say, a 13mm pen, but here you’ve got the wall thickness to do it. Not all pen makers do this, but I always do.

This is all entirely at the discretion of the maker of course, but I think these small details do make a notable difference, and are worth thinking about.

Cheers
Ash

sutdm

Peak district (cheshire, but i'm not a footballer)
First Name
Mark
Thank you kindly gentlemen. Some of the details are copied from the likes of Leonardo pens who do the cap thread thingy, i'll try threading all the way back and see how it looks for me . I'll certainly try to get the nib unit screwed further into the section (flush, even), both excellent points, thanks. The blank is fabulous and intricate. How do you turn material with shaking hands?