• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

No pen kits

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
No kits so thought would do two Sirocco bodies.
Tailstock came apart last week got it fixed and still seems to be jumping, but not tightening properly. Took it back to men's shed on Tuesday. Turned those two barrels today and still not tightening.... any suggestions....

Attachments

• 20231025_163150.jpg
    20231025_163150.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
What make of lathe is it tail stocks ae not comlicated bits of kit. I can totaly strip my tail stock and rebuild it in 30 minutes.

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
This was the first time where treaded bar separated from rest. Fixed thread back into the Gruve and set it so it wouldn't go past thr end of the gruvebut only came out about an inch and when tried to tighten while lathe was running all you could hear was a click click but wouldn't tighten any further....

Attachments

• 20231019_071238.jpg
    20231019_071238.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
There is a grub screw that runs in the groove to stop the tailstock bar turning looks like yours has come loose.
You need to to slack off the grub screw and turn your bar so it aligns with the grub screw adjust the grub screw so the bar can not turn.
Remove the hand wheel on your tailstock its normaly held on by two grub screws. Once you have the hand wheel off push the bar as far back as you can get it then screw the threaded bar in to take up the travel. Replace your hand wheel and replace the grub screws.
If I was local to you I could fix it in 15 minutes.

Gert Fitcher

First Name
phil
I've never seen the need to lock the quill so I put some threadlock on the screw, did it up tight and slackened it off gently. As soon the quill moved I left it for the threadlock to set. I've not had the problem since.