• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Olive Sugar Cane Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi pen people!

It’s been a bit chilly here recently but thankfully it has finally warmed up a bit.

Finished a nice pen today. I matched this cool acrylic with a nice olive green and added gold coloured accents (brass). I used a a Beaufort ink pocket clip which is designed to accept a cabochon so you can match it to the rest of the pen (see the last pic of one before the cabochon is added). Quite honestly this was the hardest part as I kept losing them (this was the fourth effort). What is about workshop floors that make them act like the Bermuda Triangle? Anyway I got there in the end!

I’ve just moved over to using threaded converters so they screw into the back of the section. I’m not sure they really offer anything over and above the more common push-fit style but it’s a bit of an additional selling point, so here’s the first one I’ve made that uses one.

Apart from that bit much else to say really!

Cheers
Ash
IMG_9161.jpegIMG_9163.jpegIMG_9170.jpegIMG_9173.jpegIMG_9181.jpegIMG_9156.jpegIMG_9159.jpegIMG_9213.jpeg

d_bondi

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
That looks great Ash!

Is it my imagination, or is the section tenon a bit longer to accommodate the threads for the threaded converter?

Another question if you don't mind sharing... is the trim ring on the section fixed to it or floating and if fixed do you fix it before shaping? I've just started making a few kitless pens and haven't begun working on finials and trim rings. I'm wondering how to best approach it.

Thanks and as always, beautiful and inspiring work!

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Er..
That's two in a week!
Well done mate, it looks very nice, you certainly have that design dialed in :drool: :drool:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
That looks great Ash!

Is it my imagination, or is the section tenon a bit longer to accommodate the threads for the threaded converter?

Another question if you don't mind sharing... is the trim ring on the section fixed to it or floating and if fixed do you fix it before shaping? I've just started making a few kitless pens and haven't begun working on finials and trim rings. I'm wondering how to best approach it.

Thanks and as always, beautiful and inspiring work!
Thank you

Yes the section tenon is a little longer as I wanted the threads of the converter to be fully inside the section.

The rings are made to size and are glued on.

Cheers
Ash