• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Only showing this as it is a first for me

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
A neighbour gave me a few casings and this is my first practice piece. Made a mess drilling through on this one ( blunt drill )
Got a couple more drilled without any scratches so hopefully the next ones will be better. Got inspiration from Mark @flexi , @Bill Mooney and
Woody @TVS seeing their superior cartridge pens. IMG_2368.jpg

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Very nice well done m8 made a good few in that style and with slimline kits works out cheaper gust dont use the centre band

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Let me know if you need any I have hundreds.
Calibers available are.
6.5x55
6.5 Creedmoor
7.62x39
38 special
.357 magnum
MAS36

Pensman

First Name
Gman
Hi Dave, can I be cheeky and jump on the band wagon re your shell cases, I need a small selection of as many different calibres as possible. What payment or trade do you want? Thanks Dave. Merry Chrimbo everybody
Yes I have how many do you need. Just pm me your address etc.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Let me know if you need any I have hundreds.
Calibers available are.
6.5x55
6.5 Creedmoor
7.62x39
38 special
.357 magnum
MAS36
Dave

Could I have about 5 of each calibre to try ?
Im just down the road from you . Are there any tricks to make drilling out easier or should i just mill the end off ?

Happy festive recovery

Ian

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Ian,
Don't mill the end off!...
I pop the primers out (a small 3mm drilled hole and a nail works) then I drill them out on my pillar drill with my pen blank vise ( I use the v to clamp vertically to hold them) you can use the cavity from the primer pocket to center off.
Alternatively you can chuck them on your lathe a collet chuck or 4 jaw will work, it's not much meat to remove with a sharp 7mm drill....

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian,
Don't mill the end off!...
I pop the primers out (a small 3mm drilled hole and a nail works) then I drill them out on my pillar drill with my pen blank vise ( I use the v to clamp vertically to hold them) you can use the cavity from the primer pocket to center off.
Alternatively you can chuck them on your lathe a collet chuck or 4 jaw will work, it's not much meat to remove with a sharp 7mm drill....
thanks Flexi

I can easily use pillar drill and centre drill to take the primer out. Surprised you don’t want a bit more clearance that all. So you do still use the 7mm insert tube after all?

Regards Ian

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I used some 12 bore cartridges brass caps with wooden inserts filling them to make a selection peg board for a friends shoot. Haven’t any photos to hand sadly . I put numbers on the wooden plugs which were hidden when inserted in the board .

To use it - They each select a plug and that gives them their peg shooting position. He seemed quite pleased with it and the resulting thank you was delicious.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Ian,
Yes, after drilling the base out 7mm, just use a slimline kit.... So insert a 7mm tube, the cartridge mouth will be too big so what I do is a couple of wraps of masking tape to take up the slack, then cut a small groove and apply Gorilla PU glue... Leave over night and trim next day, I don't fix the bottom end... PU has never let me down after 1000+ tubes, when I did fix the end I had trouble with the transmission, being toooooo tight and no give the brass tube can't flex and I'd bend or squish the transmission.

If the case mouth is really dirty a couple of passes with a flue brush will clean the surface to get good adhesion

Attachments

• IMG_20220429_132917.jpg
    IMG_20220429_132917.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
BTW, you might need longer tubes on the 303 cases.... Just insert the transmission further

Attachments

• 20151128_081244.jpg
    20151128_081244.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).