• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Opinions please.

RobR

First Name
Robert
Do these two work together, or is the contrast too great, or the colours too dissimilar? I have to get my wife to dress me - I'm useless at colour coordination 😀

Attachments

• 20231218_090316.jpg
    20231218_090316.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 52

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Works for me- But I'm not known for my dress sense either
Nice wood-what is it?
Mike

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Looks like Yew. The contrast is a bit to much for me. I like to see the grain run through into the other half. Matched tubes, with the flow of grain in both.
Kelvin

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
As @pittswood has said, I too like to see the flow of the grain then there wouldn't be the conundrum of the contrast...
If you only have the option of half size blanks then maybe use acrylic for one part or put two acrylic spacers( washers) on either end of both blanks to define their ends then that contrast wouldn't show too much :nooidea:

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_134350.jpg
    IMG_20230707_134350.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

RobR

First Name
Robert
As @pittswood has said, I too like to see the flow of the grain then there wouldn't be the conundrum of the contrast...
If you only have the option of half size blanks then maybe use acrylic for one part or put two acrylic spacers( washers) on either end of both blanks to define their ends then that contrast wouldn't show too much :nooidea:
I suppose it might look better built up into a pen, but I don't want to burn an expensive kit on something that doesn't work. Not really set on using it to be honest, just after some thoughts on it.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
I have to say it's not to my taste, but life is based on opinions and I quite like some of the early 'chunky' pens I made but they aren't everyones cup of tea - you only need one person to like it and you have a happy user/buyer...

Padster

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
These are two very nice bits of timber and it’s often quite hard to imagine how a pen will look once it’s finished, as I find the metal components of the kit really do lift and change the appearance a lot.

My rule of thumb when I’m making pens is to either have the same material top and bottom, or have distinctly different yet complimentary components. So maybe a natural wood barrel and the same wood stained in a colour on the cap. Or go for figured wood barrel and a plain wood (e.g. African Black wood) or acrylic cap as flexi has suggested.

My hunch is that these two pieces are not quite similar enough nor are they distinct enough to look like one harmonious pen. But I could be wrong…

Whatever you decide good luck and I look forward to seeing the outcome(s)! 😊

Cheers
Ash

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Ummm... if you made the pen so that the two 'eyes' aligned, and as has been suggested elsewhere, you may well find that the kit components could lift and change the appearance markedly. Once made you'll either have a very eye catching pen or have learnt a valuable lesson and acquired another pen for your collection.
Chriscb