• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pillar drill

btaylor13

First Name
Brian
Hi everyone, I just need a bit if advice please.

I have bought an old pillar drill for my workbench and want to use it for drilling my pen blanks, but the drill does not come down far enough to go through the pen blank. It is stopped by a nut on the screw you can see in the picture.

Do you think I can remove this screw to let the drill move down more or is the full length of its reach?

Also the slowest speed is 515 rpm. Is this too fast for drilling the blanks?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Brian

Attachments

• 51C2B8E9-F661-479C-B5F9-685A85E44EE1.png
    51C2B8E9-F661-479C-B5F9-685A85E44EE1.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 32

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I use a pillar drill for drilling, once the chuck has reached its limit, I stop raise the blank in the pen vise and continue to drill (being careful of breakout)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have never changed the speed on my pillar drill. Too late after the event with purchase of too short a drilling length. however two drills always useful..

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I do all my drilling on the lathe. If on the odd ocasion I use a pillar drill I use a pen blank vise and use the same system as mark(Flexi). But I find it so much easier to drill on the lathe using a set of pen jaws. It will be even easier and a lot more accurate once I finish modifying the pen jaws to fit on my metal lathe. I drill at low speed and peck drill.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
I have the Bosch pillar drill - PBD 40, I drill nearly all blanks at 1500 rpm - rarely have any issues and use a home vise that I attached to the base.

Regards

Padster

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
What is the length of the visible part of the thread in your photo Brian? And does the table rise and fall (and can it be locked in place?)

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
You will find the Threaded Bar and Nut at the top is to stop the drill before you do any damage to the mechanism (don't ask how I know that)
The base "Should" lift / swivel and have a clamp at the rear (like a threaded bar with a handle) to lock off the table to lift / lower.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
As a rule of thumb smaller drill bits are drilled at a faster speed than larger but I never change mine and had no problems I think mine is about what you have yours set at. As for drilling through I don't have that problem as my drill press has a good travel allowing me to drill all the way through.
I drill in the press as well as on the lathe depending on how I feel and what is set up at the time.

@flexi yes I do remember that far back
:funny: :funny: :funny:

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I tend to use pillar drill at about 850 rpm to reduce heat build up and , like Dave , peck drill ( frequently moving drill in and out to clear chips away and keep drill gullets empty.

I use a cross vice for accurate centering of blanks . If you need to move the table lift it with drill still in the blank to keep centred

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I do all my drilling on the lathe. If on the odd ocasion I use a pillar drill I use a pen blank vise and use the same system as mark(Flexi). But I find it so much easier to drill on the lathe using a set of pen jaws. It will be even easier and a lot more accurate once I finish modifying the pen jaws to fit on my metal lathe. I drill at low speed and peck drill.
Yes, same here.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).