• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Planting trees for blanks...

akirk

First Name
Alasdair
I quite enjoy making blanks from wood from the trees in our garden - currently we have pear / apple / yew / plum / walnut / laurel(!) - we need to plant some more plants to fill in gaps in the hedge - it is a 135ft mature hedge but which hasn't been looked after so has had to have some dramatic remedial work leaving some gaps - the gardener is suggesting hazel to fill in the gaps (good traditional hedge fodder) but I wondered whether there was anything else worth planting with the aim of being able to eventually trim some branches for turning! - random I know!

akirk

First Name
Alasdair
I forgot, we have holly and blackthorn already, don’t know sorbus and berberis, so will look those up…
box seems that you can have hedges, so should work, cherry - a bit tall?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Remember that the next owner of the property may benefit from the wood as by the time some trees will grow large enough to be harvested you may well be long gone:whistling:
:devil:

akirk

First Name
Alasdair
Remember that the next owner of the property may benefit from the wood as by the time some trees will grow large enough to be harvested you may well be long gone:whistling:
:devil:
Current plans have us here for the next 30 years! 😀

akirk

First Name
Alasdair
cherry has the added benefit of fruit to consume meanwhile
true - though our only cherry is an ornamental cherry...
our plum trees though are prolific - a few years ago we had about 10,000 plums from them (mirabelle plums - small sweet and delicious!)